Residential code questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

markevil

I've been lurking here for a while and need a few questions answered if you guys don't mind. I have been contracting in North East Ohio for 15 years and started out mostly residential but for the past 5 years I have mainly done commercial and insurance repair work. I just got a 12,000 square foot house and need some help with new codes.

1. Bathroom GFCIs will be wired on their own circuits. 3 of the bathrooms have enough lighting to require their own lighting circuit, does this circuit need arc-fault protection; and if not can I wire the GFCI and lighting circuit on a 3 wire feed?

2. In my last CE class the instructor thought that outdoor outlets and lights (attached to the house) needed to be wired in UF cable (wet location rated) where they leave the structure, is this true?

3. Do kitchen lighting circuits require arc-fault protection?

4. If you guys wire any of the above lighting circuits separately and they do not require arc-fault protection, do you still wire arc-fault or not? (personal preference)

Thanks all I appreciate the help.
P.S. I did search as best I could for the answers here, apologize if I'm repeating.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've been lurking here for a while and need a few questions answered if you guys don't mind. I have been contracting in North East Ohio for 15 years and started out mostly residential but for the past 5 years I have mainly done commercial and insurance repair work. I just got a 12,000 square foot house and need some help with new codes.

1. Bathroom GFCIs will be wired on their own circuits. 3 of the bathrooms have enough lighting to require their own lighting circuit, does this circuit need arc-fault protection; and if not can I wire the GFCI and lighting circuit on a 3 wire feed?

2. In my last CE class the instructor thought that outdoor outlets and lights (attached to the house) needed to be wired in UF cable (wet location rated) where they leave the structure, is this true?

4. If you guys wire any of the above lighting circuits separately and they do not require arc-fault protection, do you still wire arc-fault or not? (personal preference)

P.S. I did search as best I could for the answers here, apologize if I'm repeating.

1) No. And I would not share a grounded conductor.
2) No.
3) No.
4) Not required. On a house of this size, custom work, yes I would AFCI protect them.

ceb58

I will give my opinion.
1 As far as AFCI for the lighting it is in a location not listed in 210.12 B so I would say you should not have to AFCI them as long as they did not fed any thing else outside the bath. As far as a MWBC for the lights and recpt. I would say no. 210.11 C 3 states one 20 amp branch circ........ and shall have no other outlets. Since you plan on going outside of the bath to feed other lights in another bath area. I would put the lighting circts. on 15amp

2 If the recpt. or light is attached to the house then how dose the wire leave the house? The wire is inside the wall in a box it is not in a wet location.

3 Same as bath it is not a specified location under 210.12 B

4 No, I do not

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I knew that was coming.

PS Figure a FULL day doing a walk through to place all recpt., lights, etc.
Ask about all built-ins, furniture placement, future plans, etc.

Just one day? You hack :grin::grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Regarding question #1, if you need two-circuits in the bathroom I would run a 12/3 with a 2 CB's and a handle tie and breakout the circuits in the bathroom. Why run two cables when you can run one?

jetlag

For question 2 , if you use a surface mount w/p box , the cable leaves the structure and UF is required . but AhJ s often dont enforce it especially if under roof or overhang :grin:

Mr 3phase

Originally Posted by markevil

No archfault protection required in bathrooms.

How is it that an 'instructor' does not know the answer to this? The circuit never leaves the house. It simply passes through a wall into weatherproof box, thus NMC is acceptable.
No.

I would not use an archfault unless I am bound to do so by code. They are more expensive and I have dealt with them fault tripping due to flourescant lights and bad electronic equipment. Actually had a VCR cause one to constantly fault trip.
P.S. I did search as best I could for the answers here, apologize if I'm repeating

Status
Not open for further replies.