scrap value plc

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A year ago we installed about $10,000 worth of PLCs and HMIs. Great fun. Off and On a 6 month project. The plant(s) have shut their doors and may be scrapping out everything. I don't have an immediate need for them but anyone have an idea on the scrap value of those items or how to figure it.

gar

Occupation
EE
101207-0836 EST

If nobody has a specific use, then maybe between $0.01 and $1.00 per #.

If you can make use of the items, then for your purpose you have to make a judgement call. If no one else is bidding, then use the scrap metal price.

If nothing else is done with the PLCs they should go to schools or kids for learning about the devices.

After WWII we spent a lot of time at surplus stores getting various items. One was an aircraft transmitter with an 832 output tube that was close to the 2 meter band and easily converter for use there. I bought a 5BP1 CRT tube and turned it into a semi-useful oscilloscope. Aluminum was not a common material at that time and we got tubing to use for antennas. Lots of other interesting things to look thru.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A year ago we installed about $10,000 worth of PLCs and HMIs. Great fun. Off and On a 6 month project. The plant(s) have shut their doors and may be scrapping out everything. I don't have an immediate need for them but anyone have an idea on the scrap value of those items or how to figure it.

A lot of used stuff like that is sold on eBay. Take a look there. We have several customers that buy PLC parts on eBay for internal projects, usually at no more than 10 or 15 cents on the dollar. A great way to save money.

Ken9876

101207-0836 EST

If nothing else is done with the PLCs they should go to schools or kids for learning about the devices.

Couldn't agree more, I've taken old motor starters and controls down to the local votech. Many of these places have very small budgets

iwire

Staff member
A lot of used stuff like that is sold on eBay. Take a look there. We have several customers that buy PLC parts on eBay for internal projects, usually at no more than 10 or 15 cents on the dollar. A great way to save money.

Great for the buyer, for me a waste of time as a seller.

wireguru

i am familiar with a scrap place that deals in alot of this kind of stuff. They usually pay $0.25/lb.

If the company that is shutting down has tax liability, perhaps they can donate the equipment to a nonprofit for the writeoff and pay you to remove it. (or trade removal for the scrap copper) seek professional advice, i am not an attorney or cpa.

Jlarson

I wouldn't waste time selling it. I would add it all to the "collection" (kind word for the giant pile of s*** most shops have sitting around :D) of stuff in the shop and use it next time someone needs some low budget controls.

Micrologix 1500s with ethernet, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. ;) Good stuff.

I do like the college donation option. I think the Micrologix is a very practical PLC and easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.