Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But it does happen, how will I defend myself?
It is your company, you may create as many defensible and non-defensible policies as you want.

However, where do you draw the line? What about the metal eyelets on work boots? How about the metal clip on the visitors security pass? Very few policies, I have seen, address all of these metal items? Simply covering metal with tape or layers of clothing are not acceptable voltage rated insulation methods.

Among the strangest policies was the banning of underwire bras. The rational was that if the worker somehow contacted a 'live' part and was subject to an electric shock, the current would be attracted to the bra and thus the victims heart.

My belief is: the more ridiculous any one policy the more some people will ignore all related policies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
It is your company, you may create as many defensible and non-defensible policies as you want.

However, where do you draw the line? What about the metal eyelets on work boots? How about the metal clip on the visitors security pass? Very few policies, I have seen, address all of these metal items? Simply covering metal with tape or layers of clothing are not acceptable voltage rated insulation methods.

Among the strangest policies was the banning of underwire bras. The rational was that if the worker somehow contacted a 'live' part and was subject to an electric shock, the current would be attracted to the bra and thus the victims heart.

My belief is: the more ridiculous any one policy the more some people will ignore all related policies.

Where do you draw the line? Remove any conductive material that can easily be removed. Remove all optional conductive material. Get the jest of this?

RyanA

My wife said she couldn't believe that I would put my self at risk of injury over something so simple, my wanting to come home safe, every night, was enough proof of my commitment.

I like this, one apprentice at the shop commented that his ring was the symbol that he was married. Someone told him that if he had to wear the ring for proof, then he wasn't really married. He didn't really care for that comment, but IMO it's true. Let your actions speak for it, not a piece of metal.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Where do you draw the line? Remove any conductive material that can easily be removed. Remove all optional conductive material. Get the jest of this?
Do you mean all metal everywhere on the body, or just the stuff above the waist?

Where do you stand with zippers and snaps that are covered by cloth?

The Prohibited approach boundary (the point that NFPA 70E considers equal to making contact) for <750V is measured at 1 inch, what is the possibility of a belt buckle crossing this boundary? If we go out as far as the Restricted approach boundary (the point where 70E requires PPE be rated for the voltage) of 12", if the belt buckle is an contact issue, then the arc flash values should probably not be calculated based on the industry standard working distance of 18".

I am not trying to slam any company's written policy, I am railing against the simple Zero Tolerance policies that come from Zero Intelligence decisions.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Do you mean all metal everywhere on the body, or just the stuff above the waist?

Where do you stand with zippers and snaps that are covered by cloth?

The Prohibited approach boundary (the point that NFPA 70E considers equal to making contact) for <750V is measured at 1 inch, what is the possibility of a belt buckle crossing this boundary? If we go out as far as the Restricted approach boundary (the point where 70E requires PPE be rated for the voltage) of 12", if the belt buckle is an contact issue, then the arc flash values should probably not be calculated based on the industry standard working distance of 18".

I am not trying to slam any company's written policy, I am railing against the simple Zero Tolerance policies that come from Zero Intelligence decisions.

All I am saying if conductive material can be removed then remove it. If not take precautions to prevent its contact.

RyanA

But if he takes his belt off to crawl through the switch gear, then his pants fall all the way down off his butt!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
All I am saying if conductive material can be removed then remove it. If not take precautions to prevent its contact.
So a metal belt buckle must be removed, but the metal zipper and snap, directly behind it are okay?

A hot work permit should be able to address those unique situations where there is a potential that someone's waist area is going to contact exposed energized parts.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So a metal belt buckle must be removed, but the metal zipper and snap, directly behind it are okay?

A hot work permit should be able to address those unique situations where there is a potential that someone's waist area is going to contact exposed energized parts.

I am not saying must. Just if practical, remove it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've been married 28 years and I've never worn a wedding ring, I have one, but I've never worn it.

I figure I don't need it, my girlfriend knows I'm married.:grin:

renosteinke

I think this discussion prooves the vulnerability of any 'one size fits all' policies. Just where do we want to go with this?

Do we want to hire professionals, who we pay for their judgement - or a mindless mob of automatons, whose every action is determined to the tiniest detail by someone else?

I've worked places where the wearing of gloves was forbidden. I've also worked places that were quite similar where gloves were mandatory. They both can't be right.

Otherwise, this is still a free country. No one is required to take a particular job, hire a particular person, or continue a relationship. "At Will" are the words that come to mind.

No one ever claimed this was a perfect world. `

pfalcon

I like this, one apprentice at the shop commented that his ring was the symbol that he was married. Someone told him that if he had to wear the ring for proof, then he wasn't really married. He didn't really care for that comment, but IMO it's true. Let your actions speak for it, not a piece of metal.

Silly, the ring is to remind YOU that YOU are married.

OSHA 1910.333(b)(8) Conductive apparel. said:
Conductive articles of jewelry and clothing (such as watch bands, bracelets, rings, key chains, necklaces, metalized aprons, cloth with conductive thread, or metal headgear) may not be worn if they might contact exposed energized parts. However, such articles may be worn if they are rendered nonconductive by covering, wrapping, or other insulating means.

302-308 primarily reflects NEC 110
316-399 primarily reflects 70E Chapter 1

Awg-Dawg

If you should happen to slip on a ladder and grab for something to balance yourself, your ring could easily snag and rip the flesh off of your finger. What are your thoughts on this?

I know of 2 guys who snagged their fingers on ceiling grid.

Both ripped the flesh.....

Status
Not open for further replies.