Padmount Transformer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
There is a raceway entering both the primary and secondary sides of the cabinet. Does the primary come from inside the building also?

iwire

Staff member
I doubt that this transformer is utility company owned or controlled based on the installation and the fact the primary seems to come from inside the building.

To me it looks customer owned and I see no NEC violation.

raider1

Staff member
I doubt that this transformer is utility company owned or controlled based on the installation and the fact the primary seems to come from inside the building.

To me it looks customer owned and I see no NEC violation.

I agree, this is most likely a customer owner transformer and I don't see an NEC violation either.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree, this is most likely a customer owner transformer and I don't see an NEC violation either.

Chris
I agree as well but, if this were a dry type transfomer, I would say there probably would be a violation.

Roger

mxslick

Possible NEC issue: Is the padmount listed for top entry of conduits? Despite the roof, drilling into the top may make water entry possible.

If the padmount has no restrictions on top entry, then I can agree with the majority that there is no problem.

I may go waste some time on some padmount mfg. websites to see what they say about it.

iwire

Staff member
Possible NEC issue: Is the padmount listed for top entry of conduits? Despite the roof, drilling into the top may make water entry possible.

It sure looks like there are Myers hubs on those conduits.

If the padmount has no restrictions on top entry, then I can agree with the majority that there is no problem.

Why would there be?

It is not like a dry transformer where top entery could cook the conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think it would fly in Mass, transformers hum & vibrate and it's standard practice here to change over to flex to prevent vibrations loosening connections, fittings.

You think it is going to vibrate that much? How will they ever keep terminations tight? Or the lock bolt on the door tight?

You think it is going to vibrate that much? How will they ever keep terminations tight? Or the lock bolt on the door tight?

I'm just telling you what the common practice is here - motors, generators, transformers that are piped into get a 3 - 4' length of metal flex or liquid tight as a transition to prevent vibrations from loosening fittings, connections. In addition to the vibration from the transformer itself - there's potential vibration from traffic in this install, imho.

iwire

Staff member
I don't think it would fly in Mass, transformers hum & vibrate and it's standard practice here to change over to flex to prevent vibrations loosening connections, fittings.

I work in MA and we run wireways, conduits and EMT directly into transformers all the time.

Picture042.jpg

Service1.jpg

856a2bb6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.