Addition to existing house

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

They added two bedrooms and a bathroom. Where going to install a sub panel for it. The footing has a ufer there for grounding. I was going to run a feeder cable with a ground, from the main to the sub panel. Now what do I do with the footing ufer? Do I run a GEC from the main to it? I know your suppose to utilize it if it's there. Thank you for your help.

Jim W in Tampa

I would run it to what ever panel was closer,should make no differance as it is just an additional ground. I do question why you would waste a sub panel. 1 circuit 12-2 for bath receptacle and lights and another for the 2 bedrooms

kwired

Electron manager
GEC is only needed for services or at load end of feeders supplying separate buildings, or separately derived systems. It is not needed for a subpanel in the same building. You could choose to run the ufer to the existing service if you wish but there is no requirement to do so. It is likely a better electrode than what you have unless you already have a UFER or water pipe electrode.

zappy

I would run it to what ever panel was closer,should make no differance as it is just an additional ground. I do question why you would waste a sub panel. 1 circuit 12-2 for bath receptacle and lights and another for the 2 bedrooms

What the customer want's, is what he gets.

Jim W in Tampa

What the customer want's, is what he gets.

I agree if it is his idea no matter how stupid it is. I was just puzzled why you would do that.
Could be 1 issue in that it might not be able to be smaller than #6 for your grounding conductor in the feed back to panel if you install ufer to the sub.

kwired

Electron manager
250.52(a)(3)

(3) concrete-encased electrode. An electrode encased by at least 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete, located horizontally near the bottom or vertically, and within that portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of one or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm (? in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 awg. Reinforcing bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or other effective means. where multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only one into the grounding electrode system.

If the cee in question is the only CEE then it must be part of the grounding electrode system and run to the service or tap to the GEC. Meaning it can't be run to the sub panel. If there is already a CEE connected to GES then you can connect additional CEE's to any EGC at any point.

hope I didn't mix up any acronyms

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
250.52(a)(3)

If the cee in question is the only CEE then it must be part of the grounding electrode system and run to the service or tap to the GEC. Meaning it can't be run to the sub panel. If there is already a CEE connected to GES then you can connect additional CEE's to any EGC at any point.

hope I didn't mix up any acronyms
Can't agree...
250.54 Auxiliary Grounding Electrodes.
One or more
grounding electrodes shall be permitted to be connected to
the equipment grounding conductors specified in 250.118
and shall not be required to comply with the electrode
bonding requirements of 250.50 or 250.53(C) or the resistance
requirements of 250.56, but the earth shall not be
used as an effective ground-fault current path as specified
in 250.4(A)(5) and 250.4(B)(4).

250.50 requires it to be bonded if present. It was not present when the service was installed.

kwired

Electron manager
Can't agree...
250.50 requires it to be bonded if present. It was not present when the service was installed.

It may not be a code violation in this situation but which way would be the better install.

What if the only electrode on the existing service is a single ground rod. The OP has added a CEE which most likely has less resistance than the ground rod. Now lets say he ties it to the sub panel. Maybe the sub panel is fed by a 60 amp feeder and only has a #10 EGC. That #10 whether intended or not will be serving as a GEC to the CEE that if ran to the service would be required to be at least #8 and possibly up to #4.

If a new service is ever put in it will then be required to be brought to the service if it is there, why not bring it there now.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If a new service is ever put in it will then be required to be brought to the service if it is there, why not bring it there now.

It is required now. 250.50

Residential Code.

"115.5 Alterations to systems, components and materials.

Alterations to an existing system (egress, fire protection, mechanical, plumbing, etc.) and materials or building components not otherwise provided for in this section shall conform to that required for new construction to the extent of the alteration. The existing systems, materials or components shall not be required to comply with all of the requirements of this code for new construction except to the extent that they are affected by the alteration. Additions or alterations to existing systems materials or components shall not cause them to become unsafe, hazardous, overloaded or become less effective than when originally installed, constructed and/or approved."

dana1028

Can't agree...

I agree not to agree with you. I know of several municipalities in my area that require you to tie the new CEE [where none existed before] to the service.

The AHJ interprets 250.50 as 'where present'....a new CEE = 'now present' and is is required.

That's the code section and the AHJ has the authority to interpret. I personally don't disagree with him [them].

kwired

Electron manager
It is required now. 250.50

Residential Code.

"115.5 Alterations to systems, components and materials.

Alterations to an existing system (egress, fire protection, mechanical, plumbing, etc.) and materials or building components not otherwise provided for in this section shall conform to that required for new construction to the extent of the alteration. The existing systems, materials or components shall not be required to comply with all of the requirements of this code for new construction except to the extent that they are affected by the alteration. Additions or alterations to existing systems materials or components shall not cause them to become unsafe, hazardous, overloaded or become less effective than when originally installed, constructed and/or approved."

That is not out of the NEC and does not apply to me and many others. NEC is only code here and the number of amendments can be counted on one hand (even if it is missing four of its fingers).

Status
Not open for further replies.