Modular home wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

Yes they are about as cheap as you can get. Drywall 1/4.
They drop value fast

About 12 years ago I partnered up with a builder who wanted to put a few Mods up, so first we went and started looking at different brands, most here are a subdivision off one of the known trailer manufactures, so we started taking tours of different plants to get a feel for the quality of what each manufacture offered, most like you say don't offer much other then I will say all used 1/2" drywall not 1/4" but we went to one that really caught our eye, while we were in the office Of Crest Homes, Sub off of Schultz Manufactured Homes, while my partner was talking to the company rep, I was looking at a board of photo's and notice a home that had been rolled off a trailer, the rep noticed it and told us that home had roll over 4 times, it only damaged couple corners and cracked one of the sliding glass doors on the dining room. drywall cracked right in the corner of the slider, and in the corner of the bay window in the living room, no where else, I was kind of set back as this was kind of hard to believe until I saw how they were constructed.

When we toured the plant, I couldn't believe how well these homes were being built, all 2x6" outside walls, every wall cavity water proofed and sealed air and moisture tight, outside water proofed 7/16" OSB sheeting, inside moisture sealed 1/4" luon under 1/2" drywall, all sheeting was zipper stapled all the way around each cavity, metal roof ties at each hinged truss, each stud had hurricane clips screw between the wall stud and bottom and top plates, when set on the foundation, every 5' along the outside walls was a 1/2" rod running from the top plate all the way down to a foundation bolt that went through the foundation to the J-bolt in the footer.

When I asked what happened to the one that rolled, they said the state inspector and engineer came out and checked the damage and checked for squareness and didn't find anything structurally wrong so they repaired the corners of the roof and drywall and windows and put it on site.

and talk about being square, we install two that the buyers wanted to have their own custom cabinets installed, made by Amish, the cabinet installers said that the walls were the best squared walls they have ever had.

When at the plant each wall was built and installed in a jig, so they couldn't be out of square.

But ok thats one manufacture out of hundreds:roll:

Jim W in Tampa

About 12 years ago I partnered up with a builder who wanted to put a few Mods up, so first we went and started looking at different brands, most here are a subdivision off one of the known trailer manufactures, so we started taking tours of different plants to get a feel for the quality of what each manufacture offered, most like you say don't offer much other then I will say all used 1/2" drywall not 1/4" but we went to one that really caught our eye, while we were in the office Of Crest Homes, Sub off of Schultz Manufactured Homes, while my partner was talking to the company rep, I was looking at a board of photo's and notice a home that had been rolled off a trailer, the rep noticed it and told us that home had roll over 4 times, it only damaged couple corners and cracked one of the sliding glass doors on the dining room. drywall cracked right in the corner of the slider, and in the corner of the bay window in the living room, no where else, I was kind of set back as this was kind of hard to believe until I saw how they were constructed.

When we toured the plant, I couldn't believe how well these homes were being built, all 2x6" outside walls, every wall cavity water proofed and sealed air and moisture tight, outside water proofed 7/16" OSB sheeting, inside moisture sealed 1/4" luon under 1/2" drywall, all sheeting was zipper stapled all the way around each cavity, metal roof ties at each hinged truss, each stud had hurricane clips screw between the wall stud and bottom and top plates, when set on the foundation, every 5' along the outside walls was a 1/2" rod running from the top plate all the way down to a foundation bolt that went through the foundation to the J-bolt in the footer.

When I asked what happened to the one that rolled, they said the state inspector and engineer came out and checked the damage and checked for squareness and didn't find anything structurally wrong so they repaired the corners of the roof and drywall and windows and put it on site.

and talk about being square, we install two that the buyers wanted to have their own custom cabinets installed, made by Amish, the cabinet installers said that the walls were the best squared walls they have ever had.

When at the plant each wall was built and installed in a jig, so they couldn't be out of square.

But ok thats one manufacture out of hundreds:roll:

That does sound like well built. But go talk to banks about loans. If they take them at all it will be higher interest.
Not sure about the other states but right now real houses that are now bank owned are selling for 50 cents on the dollar for short sales. You could not build them for that price. So why buy a modular.

Status
Not open for further replies.