Junction/pull box required to be bonded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

So, it looks like I lose ... thanks for your opinions, everyone!

Jason

Maybe maybe not. I am not totally convinced yet. Under definitions there is nothing for "circuit conductors"
I do find such an install unlikely as why would we cut the ground if pulling all the wires in 1 ?
What i do try to do when practicle is make a small loop in the box for future use.

If there is logic in this that something changes if we cut so much as 1 hot wire that we need bonding but if we cut a grounding wire not then please tell me what it is.

Cavie

Maybe maybe not. I am not totally convinced yet. Under definitions there is nothing for "circuit conductors"
I do find such an install unlikely as why would we cut the ground if pulling all the wires in 1 ?
What i do try to do when practicle is make a small loop in the box for future use.

If there is logic in this that something changes if we cut so much as 1 hot wire that we need bonding but if we cut a grounding wire not then please tell me what it is.

See post #33

If the job is bid so tight you cant afford one more ground screw and the labor to install it to insure that it complies completly, maybe the contractor should consider plumbing instead lol!

lakee911

Unlikely or not, here is a picture that shows just an exact install.

Notice that the line side of the disconnect is not connected. The bottom conduit goes off to feed a welding receptacle. There are two uncut black and white conductors going in and out without so much as a loop for future use. The green wire is cut and has a wire nut.

I wrote it up on my punch list for them to correct. "Bond existing disconnect switch with new wire..."

The response that I got was, "Disconnect switch existed with no bond, we only pulled new wire as print of lighting change order. Can furnish pricing ff desired."

If its questionable, I'm going to still try to intrepret it in my favor. I responded with, "Replicating an existing condition is not an acceptable reason for not complying with the NEC. Bond disconnect per NEC 250.148(C)." The [three letter word for rear end] in me wanted to respond with, "Yes, please submit pricing for one bonding screw, six inch length of #14 green wire and 5min worth of labor," but I acted like a professional. :D

Jim W in Tampa

Regardless of your lack of agreement an EGC is never an NEC circuit conductor, many code sections have been posted proving it.

Yes Bob i have read them and i agree it lacks the word circuit but there is no article really saying it with a SHALL or SHALL NOT. I personally think it is part of the circuit. It is a weird section being we never needed the ground wire to start with even if we have splices.
Can you tell me why it needs a bond if we have a ground wire but not needed if not ran ? We have a hazard because it has a ground wire ?

Status
Not open for further replies.