PVC Conduit to Interior Residential Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarice

Aloha,
I am working on a new home that has an interior electrical room. We ran PVC conduit underground and under slab from the Service Equipment and to various exterior locations. The PVC is currently stubbed out of the concrete below the 3 panels. I am working with another electrician who maintains that we can not use PVC to complete the conduit runs up to the panel.

He feels that the inspector will make us rip out PVC and require flex or EMT.

I do not understand why using PVC would be a problem or code violation.

The other electrician says that the same inspector made him remove PVC from a panel in a similar situation.

I'd appreciate help with this.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I know of no problem. It might be considered subject to damage and Sch 80 requested,

Jim W in Tampa

I have ran it in pvc to inside locations for years. Will need be 80 from ground to meter. Inside if drywall on both sides it should be out of danger and 40 be ok. If in dought about local codes check with inspector. It is considered outside till it comes out of slab and you only have maybe 3 feet of conduit.

clarice

Thanks

Thanks

I couldn't understand it myself. I will definitely ask the inspector. The other electrician definitely told me that the same inspector actually made him remove PVC in a similar situation.

I was wondering if PVC was being confused with HDPE....I only say that because I see in Article 353 it is not permitted within a building.....Just a guess!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is the house wired in NM cable? If so then why can't PVC be run to the panel. I have always used PVC under a slab to the panel.

kwired

Electron manager
Aloha,
I am working on a new home that has an interior electrical room. We ran PVC conduit underground and under slab from the Service Equipment and to various exterior locations. The PVC is currently stubbed out of the concrete below the 3 panels. I am working with another electrician who maintains that we can not use PVC to complete the conduit runs up to the panel.

He feels that the inspector will make us rip out PVC and require flex or EMT.

I do not understand why using PVC would be a problem or code violation.

The other electrician says that the same inspector made him remove PVC from a panel in a similar situation.

I'd appreciate help with this.

Was the other similar installation in a place where PVC is not allowed? It is allowed in your installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.