Portable generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do all portable generators have overcurrent protection for the 30 amp 120/240 volt twist-lock plug on the unit itself? I had a customer ask me this question recently. I wasn't sure, but I do know most have mini-breakers for the duplex outlets.

SAC

Do all portable generators have overcurrent protection for the 30 amp 120/240 volt twist-lock plug on the unit itself? I had a customer ask me this question recently. I wasn't sure, but I do know most have mini-breakers for the duplex outlets.

I was wondering the same about mine. As far as I could tell - no, it doesn't. But it is only rated for something like 5KW continuous, so maybe by design it can't provide enough current to require an OCD for a 30A receptacle?

portable gen.

portable gen.

I have a customer that wants a single generator outlet that feeds both of 200 amp panels.(7600 watt gen.) I figured installing a breaker innerlock kit for both panels with 30 amp breakers for backfeed connection to panels, wire the breakers in parallel to a generator outlet, the customer can choose which loads to turn on.....if the generator doesn't have overcurrent protection, it may exceed the conductor 30 amp rating, since both are in parallel. If the generator had a breaker it wouldn't be an issue....I'm I missing something?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have a customer that wants a single generator outlet that feeds both of 200 amp panels.(7600 watt gen.) I figured installing a breaker innerlock kit for both panels with 30 amp breakers for backfeed connection to panels, wire the breakers in parallel to a generator outlet, the customer can choose which loads to turn on.....if the generator doesn't have overcurrent protection, it may exceed the conductor 30 amp rating, since both are in parallel. If the generator had a breaker it wouldn't be an issue....I'm I missing something?

If your customer asks the generator to produce more watts than it is capable of they will be the first to know.
It will quit.
Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a smartass. A generator is like a mule, can't produce but so much....

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Any reason you couldn't parallel 2 generators for more KVA? I've never known anyone to try it, seems like it would work. I don't see that it would buck phases, but could check with a meter 1st to be sure.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any reason you couldn't parallel 2 generators for more KVA?
I'd run each panel from its own generator first.

To me, the best idea is to move desired circuits to one panel, and undesired ones to the other, and genny-power only the first panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.