Unusual terminal bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

glene77is

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Why does it need to be listed for use in that panel? Why would you need to remove paint behind it. Land your conductors on it as well as a bonding jumper to the panel. Should remove paint wherever the bonding jumper hits the panel.

If you do not want to remove any paint then use the manufacutrers ground bar that fits the space(s) intended for its installation.

It is a dumb place to install this where it prevents use of the KO's . There was plenty of room at the top area of the panel just need to re route the rats nest that is up there.

Also take a look at how the EGC from the feeder conduit is terminated.

comjos

I would be more concerned with the proper bonding screws to the enclosure and possibly the washers on each screw post which might be two dissimilar metals.

paul

I just saw one exactly like this yesterday in a Westinghouse loadcenter panel. It was for the neutrals. Each hole was stamped with a number to correspond with the circuit number.

brian john

BullDog Pushmatic (I think it was Bulldog) panels came with a similar neutral termination bar
in older residential panels this was not all that uncommon.

renosteinke

That 'ground buss' is simply the neutral buss from an old panel- they used to wrap neutrals around screw heads like that.

Here's where UL and I differ. UL would hold that only ground bars tested with the panel can be used. IMO, I do not see the difference between using different makes of ground bars, as long as they're properly attached.

UL would say "we don't know." I would say "it works."

big john

I don't know about that specific installation, but there definitely are panels that used to come with terminal bars like that.

We have a couple in one of our plants, and the plant was built in the 80's. I'll check out the make of the panel next time I'm there.

Those are a PITA to terminate anyway.

-John

hurk27

I used to have a screw driver made for wrapping solid conductors around screws, you would set it over the screw and it had a little finger that stuck down to wrap the wire around the screw and then you would push it in and a flat blade would engage the slot and tighten the screw, the part with the finger would disengage when you pushed it in, lost it many years ago and never saw another one, was told it was a fuse panel terminating tool, anyone know where you could find one? I have a post wrap terminator in my electronics bag that works very similar but much smaller and without the screw driver part.

Status
Not open for further replies.