200a feeder: MC or EMT & wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Your time is priced right. Just because I can bust my ass, work long hours and plan jobs efficiently doesn't mean I'm working cheap.

I figure jobs based on what normal people would do, then try to get it done in half the time or better. Worst case, I make normal money.
So, you think three days (say 6 hrs a day actually on the job) for two people (three for parts) is reasonable? I'm thinking of a flat $3k for the labor.

This work includes mounting (somewhere?) and connecting to the fused switch, connecting that to the machine, maybe checking phase rotation.

tx2step

Makes me rethink using aluminum

Makes me rethink using aluminum

Wow... That makes me rethink using aluminum wire! I usually avoid it like the plague. I've been using copper. Short of using compression lugs (I don't have a compression tool), how do you guys terminate the aluminum so that you don't have any problems with it down the road?

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good news! We got the job! Yay! Thanx for all the help, guys!

We'll go in this afternoon for a signature and down-payment check.

Now, I need to see if MC is a viable alternative.

iwire

Staff member
Now, I need to see if MC is a viable alternative.

It will cost more than pipe and wire for the materials, you would have to be confident you could make it up in the labor.

As much as I am a cable guy I would not expect MC to be any real savings here, but of course I could be wrong.

cdslotz

Stabiloy is great. We use it a lot when offered as an alternate
Go to that link and all of the technical info is there.
But connectors with an AL7CU or AL9CU are recommended. Re-tightening connections is not necessary.
All heat tests meet or exceed that of copper.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It will cost more than pipe and wire for the materials, you would have to be confident you could make it up in the labor.

As much as I am a cable guy I would not expect MC to be any real savings here, but of course I could be wrong.
100' 2" EMT + 300' 2/0 al = $435 (plus 2 connectors, 2 elbows, and 10-12 couplings)

100' 2/0-3 MC = $465 (plus connector fittings and maybe freight)

Added: Hmmm. Time for another round of EMT-vs-MC opinions.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
New related question:

The only disconnect we can get this power from is a 200a 3p fused switch that supplies a 240-480 transformer for a few loads they use only once or twice a year.

I think, rather than merely doubling up on the load-side lugs, I'd use a manual transfer switch to avoid simultaneous operation of the transformer and the new machine.

Question: would it be okay to use a 2p transfer switch, or should all three poles be switched? This is akin to the not-all-poles-need-to-be-opened-for-control theory.

Opinions?

220/221

I would use a 3 pole t switch.

The way things change in these types of enviroments, I'd be set up to change the new printer from single phase to 3 phase.

Code wise, (typical) I have no idea.

ceb58

New related question:

The only disconnect we can get this power from is a 200a 3p fused switch that supplies a 240-480 transformer for a few loads they use only once or twice a year.

I think, rather than merely doubling up on the load-side lugs, I'd use a manual transfer switch to avoid simultaneous operation of the transformer and the new machine.

Question: would it be okay to use a 2p transfer switch, or should all three poles be switched? This is akin to the not-all-poles-need-to-be-opened-for-control theory.

Opinions?

Hummm.... I would think it would be considered a isolating disconnect. So the three legs should be opened to the transformer.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hummm.... I would think it would be considered a isolating disconnect. So the three legs should be opened to the transformer.
The existing 3p fused-at-200a switch which the T/S would immediately follow should qualify, but I see what you mean. They shouldn't have to shut down the new printing machine to deenergize the transformer.

3 pole it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.