Type xo breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd4524

I looked at a panel that had Square D type XO Circuit Breakers. The panel was a mess, missing cover, and busbar looked corroded. I need some more ammo to help get the change out. How are these breakers? About how old would they be? I did search for them online and could only find breakers for sale, no real description of when they were manufactured or any problems.
It looked like while all the breakers were turned "on", some were to the left and some were to the right. I am 90% sure that is a violation now?
I saw single pole 20 amp breakers for around $50.00. Not that it matters what they cost cause there is no way i am adding anything to this panel.

norcal

I looked at a panel that had Square D type XO Circuit Breakers. The panel was a mess, missing cover, and busbar looked corroded. I need some more ammo to help get the change out. How are these breakers? About how old would they be? I did search for them online and could only find breakers for sale, no real description of when they were manufactured or any problems.
It looked like while all the breakers were turned "on", some were to the left and some were to the right. I am 90% sure that is a violation now?
I saw single pole 20 amp breakers for around $50.00. Not that it matters what they cost cause there is no way i am adding anything to this panel.

By about 1960 the Cutler-Hammer / Sq D XO line was obsolete,after that period of time it's time to go* IMO. The alternating handles are a good thing as that was the only way to balance the load between the legs, otherwise they would be all on 1 leg. (Zinsco single pole circuit breakers needed the breaker clip adjusted to do the same thing).

* Cutler-Hammer CH, & SQ D QO were designed way earlier then that date but since I was not around in the '50's, perhaps others will be more able to provide more info.......

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Square D XO breakers replaced their MO family. They manufactured them during the early 50's. Square D introduced the QO breaker around 1958. The rights to the XO line were eventually sold to Cutler Hammer, although Square D sold breakers only until at least 1977.

GUNNING

No brainer

No brainer

Time to upgrade. They are 50 yrs old. Walk if they wont. On the last few I've dealt with, the refurbished ones came in bad. Run don't walk to the nearest egress.

220/221

I had those in MY house for about 15 years. I remember bringing home a new panel for a very simple change out......but never got around to it :roll:

I moved instead.:D

220/221

I am 90% sure that is a violation now?

Only if the panel was mounted horizontally.

I ran across an old XO panel (guts) in my warehouse this morning. The breakers turn on very smoothly. No tension/click at all. Weird.

mustachio

If I remember correctly, it's only when the breakers are vertical that it matters. Either was is fine when horizontal.

Your thinking of Zinsco panels maybe, where some guts the bus bars are horizontal and some are vertical. I've only seen xo panels with vertical bus bars. But there could be both varieties for all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.