Life Safety Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

keedjoe

I have an emergency panel served from a generator via ATS. I have circuits (Drainage pumps, FA, etc) in the same panel that is serving the emergency lights. The inspector diapprove the the installation and said that the emergency needs to be separated from "optional equipment". This is an existing emergency system and Im just adding a few emergency lights in the panel.

I have been reading NEC section 700 and the code is not clear as to how this should be done.

Can anyone give any insights or help on how should I deal with the issue.

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have an emergency panel served from a generator via ATS. I have circuits (Drainage pumps, FA, etc) in the same panel that is serving the emergency lights. The inspector diapprove the the installation and said that the emergency needs to be separated from "optional equipment". This is an existing emergency system and Im just adding a few emergency lights in the panel.

I have been reading NEC section 700 and the code is not clear as to how this should be done.

Thanks
For a hospital, see 517.32.

For a nursing home or limited care facility, see 517.42.

AFAIK, these are the only types of occupancies that have life safety circuits as defined by the NEC.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer

Thanks

Section 700.5(D) of the 2011 NEC says that transfer equipment for emergency systems shall only supply emergency loads. If you're going off the 2008 NEC, section 700.6(D) says the same thing.

Section 700.2 of the 2011 NEC defines the emergency system as a system classified as emergency by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction. These systems are intended to supply...power and illumination essential for safety to human life. If you're going off the 2008 NEC, section 700.1 says the same thing.

In order words, if a transfer switch serves emergency lighting, it can not also serve other loads that are not essential for safety to human life. I would not consider drainage pumps essential for safety to human life. However, I would consider the fire alarm to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.