North Carolina Unlimited License Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

BnL777

I am new to these forums, but it was recommended to me, I've bought a Mike Holt book for some exam prep, which I am pleased with the quality.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has taken the North Carolina Unlimited license exam recently. I am looking to get my license soon for the company I work for, and I've taken an NEC prep class.

Just curious what to expect. I downloaded and went through this book:

http://www.ncbeec.org/uploads/File/Examination Information Handbook January 2010(1).pdf

Took the first 30 questions of the practice exam in there, pretty easy, missed two, but one of them, I still get the same answer.

But anyway, is that a real representation of the type of questions to expect? Or are those easy questions just to give you a vague idea of what to expect.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if I'm ready for it or not. Any feedback appreciated!

ceb58

I am new to these forums, but it was recommended to me, I've bought a Mike Holt book for some exam prep, which I am pleased with the quality.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has taken the North Carolina Unlimited license exam recently. I am looking to get my license soon for the company I work for, and I've taken an NEC prep class.

Just curious what to expect. I downloaded and went through this book:

http://www.ncbeec.org/uploads/File/Examination Information Handbook January 2010(1).pdf

Took the first 30 questions of the practice exam in there, pretty easy, missed two, but one of them, I still get the same answer.

But anyway, is that a real representation of the type of questions to expect? Or are those easy questions just to give you a vague idea of what to expect.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if I'm ready for it or not. Any feedback appreciated!

First I hope your company is compensating you well. All the paper work and financial documents you must provide. Then the responsibility and liability of inspecting the work done by others.
When I took my test their was over 700 of us in the room in Raleigh. Now you go take it on computer. One thing I will tell you. A friend of mine took the test back in the summer. He said if you got stumped you could pass on the question and come back to it. He had several that he skipped and was coming back to. He did not know it but when he answered the 100Th question that was it he could not go back. So if you skip answers go back before you hit the 100Th one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I took the test 30 years ago so I am no help. I did hear that there were many questions that are not in the NEC. Some of these question were from the administrative booklet. I would call Raleigh and ask about those books as there may be 10 questions from them.

acwservices

For the NC exam, I would highly recommend the NEC prep course offered by Jeff Rodriquez- his website is jcrproductions.com. He has a wealth of information pertaining to the NC exam, and you will pass the exam if you follow his directions. The exam prep book by Mike Holt is an excellent book also, but Jeff's class would be more specific to NC.

BnL777

First I hope your company is compensating you well. All the paper work and financial documents you must provide. Then the responsibility and liability of inspecting the work done by others.
When I took my test their was over 700 of us in the room in Raleigh. Now you go take it on computer. One thing I will tell you. A friend of mine took the test back in the summer. He said if you got stumped you could pass on the question and come back to it. He had several that he skipped and was coming back to. He did not know it but when he answered the 100Th question that was it he could not go back. So if you skip answers go back before you hit the 100Th one.

I won't be the only one with a license in the company, there are several. Just taking the place of someone that is retiring. I didn't think I had to provide the financial documentation, the company is doing the financial part of it.

I'll have to make sure that I don't get to 100 and complete the test until the rest is done. I'll be paranoid about skipping questions at all now!

BnL777

I thought about taking that class when it's next offered in 2011. Everyone says they are the best. Something about an all weekend sunrise to sunset all weekend class just doesn't sound fun, but it should be worth it from what I hear. I think they offer it in Mooresville which isn't too far.

ceb58

I won't be the only one with a license in the company, there are several. Just taking the place of someone that is retiring. I didn't think I had to provide the financial documentation, the company is doing the financial part of it.

I'll have to make sure that I don't get to 100 and complete the test until the rest is done. I'll be paranoid about skipping questions at all now!

This is what I was refering to

Bonding Ability
A statement of bonding ability is required to activate a license in both the Intermediate and Unlimited classifications. Bonding Ability forms are available for download.
Intermediate must show bond ability in excess of $40, 000.00 .
Unlimited must show bond ability in excess of $110, 000.00.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For the NC exam, I would highly recommend the NEC prep course offered by Jeff Rodriquez- his website is jcrproductions.com. He has a wealth of information pertaining to the NC exam, and you will pass the exam if you follow his directions. The exam prep book by Mike Holt is an excellent book also, but Jeff's class would be more specific to NC.

I have also heard very good things about Jeff's class.

jimmyjam

This will be the best thing you can do before taking the N C exam. He is the best in the area. I took a class with Jeff in 2005 and passed the Unlimited test with no problem.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I took the computer exam. You click at the top of the answer to mark it. Marking the question lets you come back to it at a later time. After you have finished question 100, you have to go back to review the marked questions. You can also go back and review all questions if you desire. To finish the exam, you have to click end exam (or something like that) You will get the opportunity to practice at the computer until you are comfortable with all the functions. I recommend taking all the time you need, it does not go against your exam time. I also took Jeff's class, scored a 96. I will say though, simply taking the class is no guarantee of passing. You MUST apply yourself, and assume nothing. Also READ each question, there is a lot of CORRECT interpretation expected. NFPA rules and business questions were the hardest for me.

chipster0917

NC Unlimited

NC Unlimited

I took the computer exam. You click at the top of the answer to mark it. Marking the question lets you come back to it at a later time. After you have finished question 100, you have to go back to review the marked questions. You can also go back and review all questions if you desire. To finish the exam, you have to click end exam (or something like that) You will get the opportunity to practice at the computer until you are comfortable with all the functions. I recommend taking all the time you need, it does not go against your exam time. I also took Jeff's class, scored a 96. I will say though, simply taking the class is no guarantee of passing. You MUST apply yourself, and assume nothing. Also READ each question, there is a lot of CORRECT interpretation expected. NFPA rules and business questions were the hardest for me.
I took mine recently and passed it this time. The NC exam is one of the hardest in the country to pass. They have lots of high voltage questions, (4160 volts) and up. Bone up on that and hazardous locations. You MUST also know the contractors laws for NC as there are several questions on the exam about law and you have NO REFERENCE material to go to during the exam. In other words, memorize it. I advise you to study the Fire Alarm code book as well. There were 5-6 questions from it and you had better know your way around it. I have licenses in SC, TN, GA, FL and NC and have taken other exams. This was by far the hardest I have ever taken. Bone up on the codes and may i suggest you get Jeff Rodrigez book and do the tests first. He is a former Charlotte Inspector and helps write the exam. Well worth the $75. Good luck!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I took mine recently and passed it this time. The NC exam is one of the hardest in the country to pass. They have lots of high voltage questions, (4160 volts) and up. Bone up on that and hazardous locations. You MUST also know the contractors laws for NC as there are several questions on the exam about law and you have NO REFERENCE material to go to during the exam. In other words, memorize it. I advise you to study the Fire Alarm code book as well. There were 5-6 questions from it and you had better know your way around it. I have licenses in SC, TN, GA, FL and NC and have taken other exams. This was by far the hardest I have ever taken. Bone up on the codes and may i suggest you get Jeff Rodrigez book and do the tests first. He is a former Charlotte Inspector and helps write the exam. Well worth the $75. Good luck!

I will assume the good luck wishes were for me since you quoted me in your response. I have already took the exam. Made a 96. I heard too many horror stories from people that said they thought they were prepared. I prepared myself before I went in. Passed it the first time.
My question is; Why did you have to take the NC exam if you held licenses from the other states mentioned? NC has recriprocity agreements with SC,GA and FL.

BnL777

Just got back from taking my unlimited exam. 92! It was a lot harder than expected, even after taking JCR's class, but I made about the same score as I did on his practice tests. Definitely worth it for anyone that wants to pass.

It's funny how much harder the test seems when it counts...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Just got back from taking my unlimited exam. 92! It was a lot harder than expected, even after taking JCR's class, but I made about the same score as I did on his practice tests. Definitely worth it for anyone that wants to pass.

It's funny how much harder the test seems when it counts...

Congrats-- the NC unlimited is a hard test. 92 is quite good and you should be happy with that score. When I took it I refused to take a class so I just studied on my own. I got an 87 but I believe the test may even be harder then it was when I took it.

Status
Not open for further replies.