Mixed use service, trying to keep it simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Mostly a commercial property, this has a 240V single phase service that supplied entire area. We are going to do away with the existing service (red block in pic) and put a new one in place (black box).

I was hoping to avoid a main disconnect before the meters, but it looks like we're gonna need at least a 400 amp service. The apartment has 100 at the moment, but it really only needs 60. There is no access from the apartment into the yard, a fence divides it, so no common area.

Customer wants to have a 300 amp service going to the rest of the building, plus an additional space for a 3rd meter in case a common meter becomes necessary, or they want the side and back room to have their own meter.

The garage is where most of the power will be needed, although we don't know for sure exactly the load necessary other than a few welding machines, compressors, and other tools.

I haven't installed a service this big, ever, but it's imperative that I do this. This is a long time customer, but he usually deals with multi-family homes as opposed to having commercial space. I'm not worried about him finding somebody who would do what I do for less money, I'm worried about him finding somebody who knows that less needs to be done to satisfy his requirements. Therefore I don't want to install a main disconnect if not needed.

Questions:
1. I feel like a 400 amp service is required to have a main disconnect ahead of the meters, where might I have gotten that idea? (code article, please)
2. Is 300 amps a standard at all? Will it raise the cost of the install significantly as opposed to a 250A, 350A or even 400A meter socket? I'm wondering if it would be better to bring two 200A feeders through separate meters into the commercial space and tell him to pay two separate electric bills.
3. Anybody familiar with enough meter banks to suggest one that I use?
4. At what point should we spend extra money on bolt-on-breaker panels?

mainstreet.jpg

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Difficult to say what you need without knowing at least the size of the building let alone the tenants. We are not required to.have a disconnect ahead of the meters. You can get mumulti gang meter sockets with mains for each unit. You should talk to your wholesaler about details. Loadcenters with stab ons will normally be a bit more economical but that will be determined by the fault current available. Is three phase available?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unless POCO wants a main ahead of the meters, there is no Code requirment as long as you don't exceed the six disconnect rule.
I would also look at a modular meter unit with meters and mains.
The size of the service would have to be deteremined by a load caluclation + future capacity desired.
Above 300 amps, I would at least cost compare parallel conduits vs single feed if for no other reason the ease of handling the wire.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
OK thank you, no disconnect makes me feel better. I just need a multi-meter/main socket that's rated for at least 300 amps. That was my other question, if maybe due to common sizing that 400A rated equipment would actually be less expensive since they probably move more of it.

The runs are quite short and straight, so I'm not worried too much about handling the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.