door bell transformer location

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi, I haven't installed a doorbell transformer in many years now. I am currently wiring a 3 apartment building and the upstairs tenant wants a doorbell. where is the best place to install the transformer? The panel is upstairs in the apartment. If I install on the panel it would need an access panel right? Is it OK to surface mount a box in a closet up high and mount the transformer to that box? Any better ideas? Thanks for your input.

Jim W in Tampa

Are several ways and yours is one. Could also put in a box behind the chime but will need a divider between it unless secondary conductors rated 600 volts. Depends on what they are willing to see. Are transformer plugs that could go into receptacle. The case needs grounded

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It must be accessible and I know of no place it cannot be installed except for an attic. Apparently many transformers state not to be installed in attics.

Jim W in Tampa

It must be accessible and I know of no place it cannot be installed except for an attic. Apparently many transformers state not to be installed in attics.

That is because of mfgr not wanting to replace them under warranty. If they made a better transformer and did not say "not for attics" it would be legal.

There are thousands in attics still working

220/221

Closet, laundry room, utility room, upper kitchen cabinet, garage...take your choice.

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That is because of mfgr not wanting to replace them under warranty. If they made a better transformer and did not say "not for attics" it would be legal.

There are thousands in attics still working

I have never seen a doorbell transformer in an attic.

Can you tell me why that would be a good location?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen a doorbell transformer in an attic.

Can you tell me why that would be a good location?

Before I realized it was against the manufacturers info-- probably 20 or more years ago- I installed them in an attic that had a pull down stair. Some houses are on slabs and the attic is the best place to keep it out of sight. I have not done one in a while but generally I install them by the door to a crawl space or in a basement.

peter d

Heath Zenith makes this nifty contraption for recessing the transformer in a closet, etc.

120-a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.