1000 foot run

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmagyar

Check for budget first

Check for budget first

Gbarone, I agree with Petersonra and Tallgirl, that it's probably outside of the $200. they've got in the budget, and that even if they're more interested you may be able to do something off grid for the same amount of money.

Ihmo, if you're doing all the leg work and calc's gratis, make sure they're committed in some small way otherwise all you may end up with is just another exercise.

gbarone

Took a better look at this project, turns out I'm looking at a 850' run. My source is a 277/480 panel that has to feed a 20'x30' club house. With (2) lighting circuits and (2) receptacle circuits. I'm thinking 3 #2 conductors 120 volts.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Feed 480V two wires to a Square D Mini Power zone, its a primary disconnect, step down transformer, and secondary panel all in one. Two ground rods and you are done.
At least price it out as an option. This will give you 120/240 at the building

gar

Occupation
EE
101216-1881 EST

I did a quick calculation at 480 V. See what you think of 2000 ft of #10 copper, about 2 ohms.

Your loop length is 1700 ft. 5 KVA at 480 is about 10 A. Thus, 480 voltage drop is about 20 V. This is 20/480 = a little over 4%, but I used 2000 instead of 1700 ft. Add to this a percentage drop in the transformer and you should not be too bad off.

gbarone

hypothetical, 30 amp 120/240 service needed to handle proposed 7000 watt demand. Still 850' from 277/480 source. Last point..................I think. You all have been a great help.

kwired

Electron manager
Took a better look at this project, turns out I'm looking at a 850' run. My source is a 277/480 panel that has to feed a 20'x30' club house. With (2) lighting circuits and (2) receptacle circuits. I'm thinking 3 #2 conductors 120 volts.

Club house and only 7000VA? Maybe only 7000 initially but you know that will probably increase over time.

Where is the 120 volts coming from you say the source is 277/480, you would be wise not to transform this voltage until you reach the building being served. You are looking at 25% of conductor ampacity needed for 120 volts by supplying with 480 and that is before even thinking about voltage drop

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Took a better look at this project, turns out I'm looking at ... a 20'x30' club house. With (2) lighting circuits and (2) receptacle circuits.
I would be willing to bet that AC and heat will soon be added, even if only 120v units.

gbarone

Your probably right who knows what the future holds. The source is a 277/480 panel in the club house on a golf course, and they want to install a practice facility 850' away, so I was going to install a step down tranformer at the facility. I also have a 120/208 panel at the club house I was going to run a #2 ser underground 850' but I was concerned with the voltage drop. I just have to make sure I get the proper voltage when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.