Wall Mount/ baseboard heater Code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, you have been telling us all the receptacles in the laundry area must be supplied by the 'laundry area' circuit and that I can not add another one.

So in that case I cannot install an electric dryer receptacle.

Or lets say I had a gas dryer that draws 11 amps at 120 volts and I have a washer that draws 11 amps, you are saying I could not install a second circuit into that area even though the load might require it.

I never said you cant have 2 circuits and if you do they are laundry receptacle circuits and can have no other outlets.

note it says 20 amp circuits and no mention of a 30 amp or any other.
Now if your trying to win this you could ask if you can have a 120 volt 15 amp circuit

I did not write this mess NEC did. And it leaves a lot of gray in it.
This is the result of trying to keep repairing an 80 year old code with patches over patches

iwire

Staff member
I never said you cant have 2 circuits and if you do they are laundry receptacle circuits and can have no other outlets.

Then what the hell have you been saying? :confused::confused:

I did not write this mess NEC did.

It seems in this case it is only a 'mess' to you, the rest of us seem to have it all under control.

This is the result of trying to keep repairing an 80 year old code with patches over patches

All these years and you still seem to have no idea at all how the NEC is written.

Jim W in Tampa

No one. Just like no range is required, beds are not require, carpet is not required. Many things are not required. We are discussing what the NEC requires.

It (the NEC) also does not require a furnace.

I have got houses a CO with nothing more than a kitchen sink on concrete blocks, no interior doors,concrete floors,no AC,no heat, drywall that only taped. Trust me i do know the min. and loop holes around having a license to build them. Have built 20 without a license.

organick

Wow never knew this would cause such different opinions. Guess this really goes to show that it is unreasonable for a homeowner or even many professionals to be able to understand the code books. Sucks especially when people have busy or unhelpful inspectors where they live.

Anyway it seems like I will be safe doing this because if I ever got called on it I know have a whole bunch of arguments.

Many Thanks to you all.

Jim W in Tampa

Wow never knew this would cause such different opinions. Guess this really goes to show that it is unreasonable for a homeowner or even many professionals to be able to understand the code books. Sucks especially when people have busy or unhelpful inspectors where they live.

Anyway it seems like I will be safe doing this because if I ever got called on it I know have a whole bunch of arguments.

Many Thanks to you all.
Your pulling a permit ?

Most inspectors are helpful if you ask them nicely

Jim W in Tampa

was not refering to my inspectors. they are great as far as i know. Just know some suck to and have heard stories of those unwilling to help homeowners understand code.

I am not suggesting they help non electricians wire a house. But if a real electrician having problems they might offer advice

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
92 Posts??????? Common Sense, Boys, Common Sense! If I ask you what time it is, don't tell me how to build a clock.

organick

I am not suggesting they help non electricians wire a house. But if a real electrician having problems they might offer advice

why shouldn't they though?? If i am building my own house and have the basic knowledge and ability to do so shouldn't they help with code related issues?

Obviously if you come in and say what do i need to know to wire my house you have no business doing so then. However a homeowner should be given fair/understandable info.

my inspectors where I live and work are good. They will answer most questions.

Jim W in Tampa

why shouldn't they though?? If i am building my own house and have the basic knowledge and ability to do so shouldn't they help with code related issues?

Obviously if you come in and say what do i need to know to wire my house you have no business doing so then. However a homeowner should be given fair/understandable info.

my inspectors where I live and work are good. They will answer most questions.

They would never have enough time for all the problems a typical owner build has. If he sees 1 or 2 violations he likely try to steer you in right direction. Beyond that your simply not qualified and need to hire an electrician. Inspectors are not there to teach, they are there to inspect what should be a code compliant install. If caught up for the day they might spend more time.

raider1

Staff member
Inspectors are not there to teach, they are there to inspect what should be a code compliant install.

Really? So how come I get tons of phone calls a day with people asking me questions related to the NEC.

IMHO a good electrical inspector is also a teacher.

When I cite someone for a code violation I will give the code section and quite often an explanation of the section as well.

I have had to help homeowners with very basic electrical questions all the time. In Utah a homeowner can do any wiring on their own home so that means that I have to inspect that home. Most often for a homeowner I will have to explain the violation and not just cite the code section.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

Really? So how come I get tons of phone calls a day with people asking me questions related to the NEC.

IMHO a good electrical inspector is also a teacher.

When I cite someone for a code violation I will give the code section and quite often an explanation of the section as well.

I have had to help homeowners with very basic electrical questions all the time. In Utah a homeowner can do any wiring on their own home so that means that I have to inspect that home. Most often for a homeowner I will have to explain the violation and not just cite the code section.

Chris

Thats nice of you but not likely required.

raider1

Staff member
Thats nice of you but not likely required.

Actually I believe it is part of the job discription of an inspector. When I was installing and an inspector told me that there was a violation I would ask for the code section and an explanation of their position if I was not in agreement. I learned quite a bit from inspectors through the years.

I always tell people if they have a question about an installation I would much rather they call and ask me then to hope it is OK and have me come out and cite them for a violation and have to spend the time and money to fix it.

I could be one of those inspectors that says "I want to see this....." and not answer any calls or be open to any discussion but I just can't be that guy.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.