Panel clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Panel located behind swinging door. When the door is not in use there is > 3' clearance, when the door is swung all the way open the panel is blocked. Could not find any specific wording in the NEC 2005 that addresses this issue. Seems to me to be a definate saftey issue. Any input would be great. This is in a restraunt.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is nothing in the NEC that prohibts this install. As long as the clearance is there when the door is closed you are good to go.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Some feel it's a great place. Unlikely it will be blocked by stoage boxes, cleaning supplies, etc.

Jim W in Tampa

often it's a great spot and very legal. Only part i don't like is if is a door that might get opened while the electrician is working on live panel. Closet door is perfect.

pfalcon

You have to evaluate the situation as used during service.

See 110.26(B)

During SERVICE, the WORKING SPACE MUST BE GUARDED!

This means you must secure that door against accidental opening during service. A lockout should be performed on the door. Then you get to evaluate whether you have the other conditions such as an available egress while locked out.

Guarding the working space during service is frequently overlooked.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This has been discussed here several times. I believe the most common opinion is that it is legal. I agree with that view. As to guarding the working space, you could always just remove the door. ;)

pfalcon

This has been discussed here several times. I believe the most common opinion is that it is legal. I agree with that view. As to guarding the working space, you could always just remove the door. ;)

As would chained zombies as well :)

The OP did ask for any input. I felt I would be remiss if I left it just at panel placement. I think his feeling of an inherent safety issue springs from guarding the workspace. Certainly a service practice issue as opposed to installation.

It maybe legal but it is just SOOOO wrong. I would hate to stand in that pace, working on live stuff anf have somebody shove me into the live panel with the swinging door. In my many years of design experience I have NEVER allowed this to happen.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It maybe legal but it is just SOOOO wrong. I would hate to stand in that pace, working on live stuff anf have somebody shove me into the live panel with the swinging door. In my many years of design experience I have NEVER allowed this to happen.

Perhaps a bigger issue with commercial but it is often seen in residential settings. Lock the door-- I have never heard of anyone getting hurt from this setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.