For Entertainment Only - An Email Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We all get spam sent to us via email from time to time. Here is one I received yesterday. I removed the brand name and contact information. I looked at the web site, and saw a copyright statement of 1999-2009, so this is not a new concept. But it was new to me, and I found it worth a laugh. I wonder how many people sent in the $47 to get the how-to kit. :roll:
With (Brand Name Deleted), you?ll get:
? To tap into the electricity of your phone line to power up your household appliances!
? To save thousands of dollars each year on your power bill, especially during a financial pinch!
? To spend your money on the things you enjoy!
? A safer alternative to energize your home!
? Your own secret source of hidden electricity to light up anything with up to 110 volts!
? To have a source of free energy at your fingerprints!
? Complete step-by-step instructions on how to make energy from your phone line using simple components!
? Be the only house on the block with working electricity even during a power cut!
? To do your part to preserve the environment! Your children will thank you for it!
? And...so much more!
Find it here: (Link to advertised web site removed)

Jljohnson

Sign me up!!!!! Oh wait, never mind, I kicked Ma bell out of my house years ago and strictly use cell service. I'll file this with all of the "wireless" receptacle garbage.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I bet the phone company is going to love that stuff. I wonder how long it will take them to realize why the fuse blocks and switches keep faulting and the customer complains of no phone service.

How about trying to extract the DC from the cable systems that some of the older cable networks used to use to power remote devices like amplifiers.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Like this site says you can do?

http://www.phone4energy.com/

You see, telephone companies generate their own electricity that?s separate from the Power Company.

Oh, really?

I guess all the transfer switches we installed at DMUX sites all over the state of Michigan weren't really connected to the POCO lines and the POCO just just sent guys and trucks out and faked it as we watched.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I bet the phone company is going to love that stuff. I wonder how long it will take them to realize why the fuse blocks and switches keep faulting and the customer complains of no phone service.

How about trying to extract the DC from the cable systems that some of the older cable networks used to use to power remote devices like amplifiers.

Telco lines are current limited. You can short out the two wires and no one else's service will be affected*. The only thing that may occur is a fault being detected and a tech sent out to disconnect the shorted line at the cross connect. Telco won't send a tech to a residence unless requested by the service holder. No complaint, no action other than a DC somewhere off the property.

*Unless the service is on a pair gain line, which has been a no-no for years. Some still exist and as long as there are no problems, they stay. A short on one half of the pair will create static on the other. Pair gain lines had huge cross talk issues and the G-men decided that so long as the Telco's were touting private lines, a system that couldn't guarantee privacy wasn't to be allowed.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Like this site says you can do?

http://www.phone4energy.com/
I especially like this, from one of the testimonials:
"I?ve got everything working. I adjusted the main diode as you suggested and the voltage have increased several times over."
I've never seen an adjustable diode.

Also, they really don't want to let you leave the site. I had to use the Task Manager liberally to get out of there.

I never click on pop-up window X buttons to leave pop-up windows; that's a good way to catch a computer bug.

480sparky

Uh, how can I 'save thousands of dollars each year on my power bill' when I don't even spend ONE thousand dollars a year?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I especially like this, from one of the testimonials: I've never seen an adjustable diode.

Also, they really don't want to let you leave the site. I had to use the Task Manager liberally to get out of there.

I never click on pop-up window X buttons to leave pop-up windows; that's a good way to catch a computer bug.

Next time I am in Radio Shack I will ask if they have any adjustable diodes. I need them to control the output of the darkness emitting diodes for my stealth project.

480sparky

Next time I am in Radio Shack I will ask if they have any adjustable diodes. I need them to control the output of the darkness emitting diodes for my stealth project.

They're not dark-emitting diodes.... they're light-absorbing ones.:cool:

skeshesh

Thats some funny stuff indeed. Did anyone scroll down far enough to see the other "incredible bonuses" that you get for free? They include such incredible bonuses as "run your car on water" and "magents 4 energy".

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
They include such incredible bonuses as "run your car on water" . . . .
That I found particularly entertaining. All you need to do is to separate the water in the battery into oxygen and hydrogen, then use the hydrogen to power the car. :roll::grin:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Here is some good info if any of you are curious about how much juice there is in a phone line.

Okay, since I'm sure none of you care :) here's the details of power and phones:

On hook -- -48 VDC. Yes, negative. It makes sure the lines don't get electroplated (honestly). Approx. 50 mA of current can be drawn at this voltage before the phone senses an off-hook condition (may be less in your area, however, phones are supposed to display a 600 Ohm load to the line when off hook).

Off hook -- 9 VDC (max). Approx. 40 mA of current can be drawn at this voltage. Much more than that will likely show as a short. You can (sort of) measure your distance to your exchange by measuring this.

Ringing -- 90 VAC. I wouldn't bother trying to tap this... :)

The ringing voltage (and, to some degree, the on hook voltage) are why you should NEVER work on a live phone line unless a phone is off the hook.

There's more here, if you care to read.

BTW: Tapping this power could get your phone disconnected. It might even be illegal, since phones are _supposed_ to be powered by battery banks in the CO (helps ensure they work during power outs) and if you are draining them for no reason during an emergency, you're going to look like an idiot. And if you're in the US, like that store (I think) it's definately illegal as per the FCC.

BTW: The current available is more than enough to make a decent high-intensity LED flashlight with. Could come in handy during power outages (but read the above before you do something stupid like use it). Parts required: LED ($0.25) + 2.2k resistor ($0.05). Wire in series. Reverse if it doesn't light. Enjoy. Don't zap yourself.

Oh, and many of those devices (especially the car charger) will draw so much power they'll be sending a telco van to your house to see what the short is in NO time. Your crappy phones (not quality ones) will start to make chirping noises at night when the CO automatically runs tests on them, and other fun things if you start to do this stuff.

Just to let you know...
posted by shepd at 5:30 PM on December 5, 2002

yhbc, as much as i'd like to take credit for that stylish purchase, the phone belongs to my parents. i have no idea how i ended up with it all these years later.

and shepd - in particular, i would advise against working at the external interface box standing in damp grass with bare feet and the stripped leads gripped between your teeth. an incoming call WILL result in an embarrassing display for the neighbors. i found out the hard way.
posted by quonsar at 5:40 AM on December 6, 2002

http://www.metafilter.com/22064/Free-Electricity-from-the-phone-company

Take a look at the last line. Been there, done that! Yep, I was stripping insulation off a phone line when it rang and it shocked the crap out of my mouth! Before the phone rang, there wasn't enough electricity in the wires to even feel it.

So, unless the phone is ringing, you are limited to 48 volts, 50mA or 2.4 watts. (.0024 kW) So that means the most you could draw would be .0576 kWh per day, or 1.728 kWh in 30 days. At 13 cents per kWh, that would equate to a total savings of 22.46 cents in that 30 day period.

gar

Occupation
EE
101217-1349 EST

My phone line voltage is just a hair over 50 V. Short circuit current is about 37 MA. Thus, the source resistance is 1250 ohms. Maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistance equals the source resistance. Thus, maximum power is 25^2/1250 = 625/1250 = about 0.5 W. Not 2.5 W.

Besoeker

I especially like this, from one of the testimonials: I've never seen an adjustable diode.
Yes, I noticed that too.
Did you see this "interesting" bit of arithmetic?
You will get the entire system for only $37. That is 33% off the normal price of $47.
If $10 is 33%......I'm sure you get the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.