cell phone shielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Anybody ever been involved with a project where the conference room had to be shielded to block cell phone transmission and can point me to a manuf/vendor?

dereckbc

Staff member
Well using an active blocker or jamming device is illegal, however using passive methods is legal. I do not know of manufactured products to do the job as I have never had a need to look for them, but it can be easily done during a remodel of initial construction by using a wire mesh screen or even chicken wire enclosing the room and bonded to the electrical ground or even the rebar in a concrete pad. The screen material is attached to the wall studs and ceiling joist before the drywall is attached.

The other way I know of works real good, use a steel fabricated building with steel siding and roof.

I havre also heard there is a metallic paint on the market made to do just what you want. Here is a REFERENCE LINK

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
didn't they come out with some paint that is supposed to do that?

Yes, but is paint enough?

And there is this to consider:

Important note about conductive paint and the National Electric Code:
The is nothing in the NEC which prohibits painting your walls with conductive paint. However, because this product does NOT carry a UL listing, some electrical inspectors, by virtue of being the “Authority Having Jurisdiction” can require the homeowner to hire an electrical engineer to certify that the product is safe to connect to the electrical ground. They can also require that a licensed electrician perform the ground connection. If your application requires an electrical inspection AFTER installation, you should check with your local inspector BEFORE you proceed to avoid any surprises.

http://www.lessemf.com/paint.html

The shielding you are trying to attain will be tough to do. Since you will not be able to totally isolate the environment you will not be able to assure 100 percent RF shielding. Any wiring coming into the room has the ability to act as a passive radiator. You are dealing with various frequencies, so a method that works well for one band of frequencies may not work for others.

If it were me, I would hire an engineering firm to do the design and be happy with getting the build job. If you have to ask how to do RF shielding on a web site you likely don't know enough about it to do the design work. If you have someone else do the design and it ends up not cutting it down the road, you won't be the one getting sued over the loss of valuable corporate secrets.

EDIT: I would like to add that I know enough about radio to be able to design a room that is 90 percent effective and would NEVER do it for pay. I also know enough about radio to be able to defeat 90 percent of 'cell phone proof' rooms and would still never design such a room for pay.

The liability is too great and there is no way to be able to know for sure your design will work on every cell phone or wireless device there is. Digital comms can get through some amazingly adverse conditions.

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Well using an active blocker or jamming device is illegal, however using passive methods is legal. I do not know of manufactured products to do the job as I have never had a need to look for them, but it can be easily done during a remodel of initial construction by using a wire mesh screen or even chicken wire enclosing the room and bonded to the electrical ground or even the rebar in a concrete pad. The screen material is attached to the wall studs and ceiling joist before the drywall is attached.

The other way I know of works real good, use a steel fabricated building with steel siding and roof.

I havre also heard there is a metallic paint on the market made to do just what you want. Here is a REFERENCE LINK

Metal buildings are only partially effective due to re radiation. I use my cell phone in totally enclosed metal buildings all the time.

dereckbc

Staff member
No, from experience back in my RF engineering days building RF test cages.

I doubt chicken wire has the proper mesh size to work, but maybe it does...
Chicken wire would be more than adequate as it is a function of 1/4 wavelengths. The two frequencies of interest with respect to cell phones is 800 and 1900 Mhz. Since 800 is the lowest frequency and longest wave length is all that has to be dealt with. 800 MHZ 1/4 wave length is .09 meters or 3.6 inches. Chicken wire mesh is considerably smaller and will cut off frequencies 200 Mhz and up.

But as K8 MHZ points out any wiring leaving or entering the room will re-radiate signals inside the space unless measures are taken to divert the energy to ground. I agree with him this should only be done by an engineering firm with experience doing this kind of design.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
No, from experience back in my RF engineering days building RF test cages.

Chicken wire would be more than adequate as it is a function of 1/4 wavelengths. The two frequencies of interest with respect to cell phones is 800 and 1900 Mhz. Since 800 is the lowest frequency and longest wave length is all that has to be dealt with. 800 MHZ 1/4 wave length is .09 meters or 3.6 inches. Chicken wire mesh is considerably smaller and will cut off frequencies 200 Mhz and up.

But as K8 MHZ points out any wiring leaving or entering the room will re-radiate signals inside the space unless measures are taken to divert the energy to ground. I agree with him this should only be done by an engineering firm with experience doing this kind of design.

NO frequencies will be cut off.

The best you can get is attenuation.

If the signals are strong enough, they will get through anything someone is willing to pay for.

A WWII submarine is an RF cage made of inch thick solidly connected steel. That is one of the few places my cell phone won't work, but our two way radios will work from inside to out as long as they are close. The range is cut from over a mile to a few yards, but even through inch thick solid steel and partially underwater, RF can get into the sub, a museum ship with a ham radio station on board.

So, if inch thick steel isn't 100 percent effective, just what would it take?

Well, they are called Faraday cages. They are used in labs and universities and are extremely costly to build and certify by testing.

Last edited:

dereckbc

Staff member
NO frequencies will be cut off.

The best you can get is attenuation.
Yes I understand that, brute force will penetrate. Cell towers operate depending on number of calls in place from 1/2 watt to 20 watts per carrier down link. Cell phones max power is 1/4 watt uplink

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
EDIT: I would like to add that I know enough about radio to be able to design a room that is 90 percent effective and would NEVER do it for pay. I also know enough about radio to be able to defeat 90 percent of 'cell phone proof' rooms and would still never design such a room for pay.

Why not? You could just let the client know your concerns, and tell them that's probably the best they can do within their budget, and that there are no guarentees, and it won't be 100% effective.

The liability is too great and there is no way to be able to know for sure your design will work on every cell phone or wireless device there is.

It sounds to me like they are just tired of having all their meetings interrupted. So I'm not sure there is any liability. If the room cuts out some calls, good. If a few get through, you cover that by telling the client up front that its not a 100% solution.

That said, I could also see the same client asking why their wireless network doesn't work in the conference room anymore:roll::)

Steve

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You need to build what was once called a TEMPEST room. Currently, the name is EMSEC. I work in such a building and with the TEMPEST doors closed, cell phones, pagers, etc do not work. With the doors open, the phones work if you're within 100' of the door. We have a passive pager "repeater" to allow those to still work.

These are very expensive to build, especially if you need it certified. You pick the level of attenuation you want at given frequency bands and build from there. All metallic conduits and plumbing typically use non-metallic couplings between outside and inside. Fiber is the "wire" of choice. Doors are the biggest problem.

A jammer inside of a mostly shielded room may work and perhaps not be illegal.

Found this link: http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/complete_unofficial_tempest_page.pdf

BJ Conner

Google "Faraday room".
The ones I have worked with were copper screen, the internal lighting was DC.
They use to be more common at hospitals where ECGs were being performed.
There vendors who will sell you a "Cage" or engineer and construct ( or oversee the construction ). All it takes is mere money.
Some signals from cell phones can radiate out on lighting wires or telephone land lines.
MAby "The Cone of Silence" system would work. It might be cheaper. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A few other ways to beat cell phones in conference rooms.

1. Have spot lights that will zoom in on the person getting the call so that all the others will get a good look at the offender.
  2. Stop the meeting or conference and tell the others that the meeting or conference will resume when so and so get's done talking to who ever is more important than the others attendees time
  3. If the attendees are contractors or sub-contractors charge them $100.00 for each time their phone interupts the meeting or conference.
  4. Have all parties leave their phones in their vehicles or at the reception desk.
As far as #3, I have actually been in meetings where this was done as back charges at the end of the job. One sub-contractor was up around a grand after the job meetings came to an end.

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
A jammer inside of a mostly shielded room may work and perhaps not be illegal.

Good point. You should be able to jam signals in your own space.

A few other ways to beat cell phones in conference rooms.

1. Have spot lights that will zoom in on the person getting the call so that all the others will get a good look at the offender.
  2. Stop the meeting or conference and tell the others that the meeting or conference will resume when so and so get's done talking to who ever is more important than the others attendees time
  3. If the attendees are contractors or sub-contractors charge them $100.00 for each time their phone interupts the meeting or conference.
  4. Have all parties leave their phones in their vehicles or at the reception desk.
As far as #3, I have actually been in meetings where this was done as back charges at the end of the job. One sub-contractor was up around a grand after the job meetings came to an end.

Roger

I like all those ideas:) Some people think their time is more valuable than others. It makes me wonder what happened to good manners. I've even heard doctors say that patients will answer phone calls when the doctor is talking to them. And we've all seen people hold up a line at a check out talking on their phone.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Good point. You should be able to jam signals in your own space.

It makes me wonder what happened to good manners.
Me too.

I've even heard doctors say that patients will answer phone calls when the doctor is talking to them. And we've all seen people hold up a line at a check out talking on their phone.

If I were a doctor performing the right exam I'm sure I give the party on the other end a scream from the patient.. :grin:

Roger

BJ Conner

Easy Cell Fix

Easy Cell Fix

Once upon a time I was in a "no cell pnone" meeting. One of the more obnoxious people on the job got a call and answered it, he said a few words and put the phone back in his pocket. The project manager said "Can I see that phone"? The guy gave him the phone, he broke it in half and threw both pices back to him. He said something like "I can fix this problem another way but it would be harder on your wife an children."
No more phone problems. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.