Bath fans/drop ceilings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Anybody here have a easy way to mount exhaust fans in drop ceiling tiles.Seems to always be a PITA to do this. Is there any type of commercially produced product that you've run across for this? Thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i've strapped them to caddy bar hangers; as long as its lightweight, like a 688 or comparable, it works fine. i run a small self-tapper through the bar into the fan housing.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Anybody here have a easy way to mount exhaust fans in drop ceiling tiles.Seems to always be a PITA to do this. Is there any type of commercially produced product that you've run across for this? Thanks.

I've never had to install one in the T-Bar yet....but right off the top of my head I'm thinking two box hanger brackets screwed right to the side of the exhaust fan?

Like you, I'd be curious to know if there really was a product made for this though, but I've never looked...

nizak

Nothing ever seems to lay out right. Usually end up using some 1x3 wood, screwing it to the sides(usually obstructs the duct in some way) cutting a slit for it to rest over the T bar, then wiring it up to the structure to support it.Seems that what should be a 10 minute job most always takes the better part of an hour.

macmikeman

Treated 2x4 lumber, power miter box saw, Passload gun and Hilti gun with long nails like carpenters use to secure bottom plate to slab. Whack, bam, boom, I got me a frame up there secured to the structural above and can screw the fan to the wood supports just like they were floor joists. Those three tools go with me everywhere in my van. Sometimes I just shoot rod anchors and use threaded rods to hold it up.

kwired

Electron manager
What has worked great for me in the past is to cut a piece of plywood to fit the width of the ceiling tile - length can be whatever works for you. Attach a 2x4 or 2x6 to the plywood next to the cutout for the fan, and attach the fan to the 2x4 just like you would in a wood framed ceiling. Set the plywood on top of the ceiling tile and fasten it to the T-bar with some drywall screws and if necessary install a tie wire(s) to the structural ceiling. This works for ceiling fans, and other heavy items that need mounted on a suspended ceiling.

Sure there is hardware designed to do some of these things, but most of the time the lumber is more readily available to use, if you are lucky you are on a job where there are scrap pieces around to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.