Wire nuts ... invented when? What was used before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

I came accross an install that had wires twisted and taped together very well but there was no wire nut inside. I thought it was a very good hack job. lol Was this a code compliant install at one time? The house was built in like 1910 and has some of every type of wire in it. Surprisingly, what is left of the K&T is in excellent shape too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wire nuts have been around a long time however solder was used also and still is in some places. However I am not sure twisting and just tape was ever compliant.

jwelectric

Twist wires - crimp connector - monkey grip (two sided black tape) - joint is complete.
I have done thousands (or at least a few) of these type connections over my life as an installer of electrical systems. Yes I started way back before anyone invented the electron, :D:D

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I came accross an install that had wires twisted and taped together very well but there was no wire nut inside. I thought it was a very good hack job. lol Was this a code compliant install at one time? The house was built in like 1910 and has some of every type of wire in it. Surprisingly, what is left of the K&T is in excellent shape too.

Wire nuts were invented in 1927 by Ideal heres a link..http://books.google.com/books?id=Az...resnum=10&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

renosteinke

Well, almost correct. The inventor was Buchannan- and he was bought out by Ideal.

I didn't think it was that long ago; I rarely find them in work older than, say, 1960.

Wire connections need only to be 'mechanically and electrically secure,' and insulated. You are not allowed to use solder alone for the mechanical securing. "Insulated" is defined as at least two layers of tape. (My source are various UL standards that discuss wire connection within appliances).

lakee911

Well, almost correct. The inventor was Buchannan- and he was bought out by Ideal.

I didn't think it was that long ago; I rarely find them in work older than, say, 1960.

Wire connections need only to be 'mechanically and electrically secure,' and insulated. You are not allowed to use solder alone for the mechanical securing. "Insulated" is defined as at least two layers of tape. (My source are various UL standards that discuss wire connection within appliances).

So, then twisted and taped could be code compliant then, right?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I've seen the crimps with the rubber boots (what a pain those are), porcelain ones and a couple of the set screw ones. The solder and tape joints were the real pain in the you know what to work on.

marti smith

"Marti, I need some wirenuts."

"What are you talking about?"

"These", holds up wirenuts.

"Those are scotchlocks, not wirenuts!"

"What's a scotchlock?"

220/221

From my observaion, out here it went:

20's thru 40's = solder/tape

late 40's early 50's = crimp sleeve/tape

early 50's = crimp sleeve, cap or rubber boot thingy

late 50's, early 60's = crimped "wirenut"

mid 60's = screw on wire nut

I think I've seen a few twisted and taped splices but I doubt it was ever legal. I think they just ran out of crimps and figured it was good enough.

The only porcelain nuts I've seen were small ones, on fixtures.

muskrat

from oldest I've seen to today...
1-twisted/soldered/taped w/ "friction" tape
2-twisted/crimped w/ brass barrel "buchanon"/taped
3-twisted/backalite or porcelain wirenut/taped
even saw a few brass sleeves w/ set screws and threads for porcelain wirenut type cover
4-twisted/plastic wirenut/plastic tape
5-wirenut w/ longer skirts and wings for torque and internal springs

Last edited:

wireguru

Ideal still makes those set screw wire nuts (the ones with the brass piece with setscrew and a wirenut looking cap that screws onto it)

Besoeker

I'm on the other side of the pond.
The only ones I have seen were porcelain, usually called Scruits, and I haven't seen any used here since about the 1960s.
Mostly, wires are joined in fixed terminal blocks and most electrical fixtures have provision for doing that. Light switches and ceiling roses usually have extra terminals for switch wires. The need for wire nuts has gone.
Different practices, I know.

hockeyoligist2

My Dads house, built in the 40's, has twisted and taped. It is way out in the country, owner built, no inspections. But it does have some real good wood framing, saw mill oak all the way trough!

He died last August and probate said we can sell it now. I want to sell as is, with that disclosure, if possible. I'm hoping they don't make me rewire it!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Buchannan- and he was bought out by Ideal

Do you have a link for that info?:confused:

mrmike

My Dads house, built in the 40's, has twisted and taped. It is way out in the country, owner built, no inspections. But it does have some real good wood framing, saw mill oak all the way trough!

He died last August and probate said we can sell it now. I want to sell as is, with that disclosure, if possible. I'm hoping they don't make me rewire it!

My First house was a "company built" Housing project built also in the 40's & they were all twisted & frictioned taped like your dads. I would think that most of them are still like that today.................

Brought back a troubleshooting memory here! My bedroom light used to go out when it was hot outside. I traced it to the attic & found a connection in a jct box- not twisted together good-but just one loop on each wire together.
When the temp got so hot in the attic-the friction tape would expand & the loops would seperate apart-breaking connection to the light.............. WIERD !!!!!!

Strife

Weird indeed.....
First, a slight separation on the wires would cause an arc, which in time would melt the wires apart.
Second, I wasn't aware cloth expanded that much, and I could swear friction tape is made of cloth and tar (basically)

My First house was a "company built" Housing project built also in the 40's & they were all twisted & frictioned taped like your dads. I would think that most of them are still like that today.................

Brought back a troubleshooting memory here! My bedroom light used to go out when it was hot outside. I traced it to the attic & found a connection in a jct box- not twisted together good-but just one loop on each wire together.
When the temp got so hot in the attic-the friction tape would expand & the loops would seperate apart-breaking connection to the light.............. WIERD !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.