Resi Sequence of Tasks

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Resi Sequence of Tasks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Been a while since I did a new house, but I would do a walk thru with owners and mark locations. Home runs were set, then nail boxes and start drilling about the same time. There were usually two of us.

Custom homes. It has been even longer since I did a spec home. Maybe 20 to 25 years. Really hard to compete with guys that only do residential.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Which do you find more efficient? Poll is based on using NM, fiberglass boxes or equivalent, apartment setting.

There is no question in my mind. I put up the boxes so I can tell where the holes will be esp. if you have to drill up and down. Sometimes I lay the boxes out but don't install them, then I drill the holes and install the boxes. This makes it easier to drill down but with my milwaulkee angle adapter it is not necessary unless there is a double plate. I have only seen that rarely.

18445_48-06-2860.jpg

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Box, then
do branch circuits. Do all HV (120 VAC) before LV (phone, cable) H.R.'s last. Multiple spinners for HR's.

sd4524

I would feel like too much of a factory worker to drill holes before I box. I would never intentionally do it. But stuff happens. I get sent to a job too early, parts get delivered late, etc. If you are doing a big job with 100+ apts then it is a different story. You might have a helper/ apprentice who drills holes all day and he gets ahead of box layout guy.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Mark the locations, first.

Box or wire first, depending upon location. Some (small percentage) framing / # of required conductors will dictate unusual boxes or extra cable holes to avoid high conductor count. . . . It's a judgement call, on the fly.

I don't like changing out boxes I just installed.

I'd rather figure it out along the way, than to head trip it at the very beginning.

growler

Which do you find more efficient? Poll is based on using NM, fiberglass boxes or equivalent, apartment setting.

So it's apartments is it? With an apartment complex it's probably not going to make that much difference. After a crew does a couple they can just about cut the cable before pulling.

It's hard to get more assembly line than apartments so I guess it would just depend on how the crew is set up. You could actually send someone ahead of the roping crew to pre-drill holes.

With a house I always nail boxes first because I have never thought of doing it any other way.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
:D
Al, you just had to break the goose egg on that second poll option, didn't you. :D
If I wasn't surrounded by miles of old shacks, that is, if I did more cookie cutter new homes, my answer might have been different. But the side of my mind that is the engineer (reluctant to dismiss the small percentage) and the weirdness of remodels kinda worked in chorus.

I'm actually surprised to be the first to take the "other" choice.:cool:

renosteinke

I find the efficiency depends on first doing some 'inefficient' things.

Step #1 is to plan, plan, plan. Figure out on paper just where the boxes will be and where the circuits will run.

Hang the boxes, then mark, mark, mark. "Mark" as in identify each box as to the circuit that serves it. "Mark" as in run a string line where the holes will be bored. (Wires pull a lot easier when the holes are in line). "Mark" as in ID the wires at both ends. "Mark" as in lines on the floor so you can find them after the drywall goes up.

Keep the wires loose- land in one box, staple to the next box, THEN cut the wire from the spool.

It works best for me to start at the farthest box and work back to the panel.

Once you have the devices and fixtures installed, put a bit of blue tape by each box. At the switches, you will write on this tape just what the switch controls. At the receptacles, you will replace that bit of tape as you check your work- with green if all is well, with red if there's a problem.

Likewise, I find an unused area and put up rows of blue tape, each identifying a task I need to do. As I do the task, I remove the tape. This help keep you on track.

Finally, at the start of the job set up a work area and provide for trash removal. Nothing slows you down like piles of trash everywhere.

marti smith

There is no question in my mind. I put up the boxes so I can tell where the holes will be esp. if you have to drill up and down. Sometimes I lay the boxes out but don't install them, then I drill the holes and install the boxes. This makes it easier to drill down but with my milwaulkee angle adapter it is not necessary unless there is a double plate. I have only seen that rarely.

18445_48-06-2860.jpg

Dennis, this is the bomb. No ladder needed in most areas; one of my favorite tools by far!

tryinghard

I find the efficiency depends on first doing some 'inefficient' things...
You are thorough; in a good way! Can you actually get others working with you to do this as well? I only did a few small tracks and a few apartments and motels but the custom homes were the challenge. Often we?d figure our homeruns on the plans install the panels and get someone pulling these early on, this after a walk-thru with the client and a keel marking layout. This seemed to work out pretty good and like most we?d install any data/comm last.

Status
Not open for further replies.