Can't find wiring trough(wireway) part

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

I can't find the part, and the parts counter guy was having a bad day today.

There is an accessory for a 4x4 trough that allows the mounting of a device that has a 4s box screw mounting pattern to the front of the trough. You have to trim he cover to accommodate the device.

What is that and who makes it?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think you may be after a Wiremold 3000, 4000, 5000,or 6000 series part#

Roger

nhfire77

No, imagine a 4x4 trough. A plate of some sorts mounts inside the trough, you then mount a device (think fire alarm monitor module) to it.

It allows you to mount several devices in a row, neatly. I am trying to find a picture of the end product, but am on the road for ten days and do not have all my pictures.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you know the manufacturer of the trough?

Roger

nhfire77

No, that's my problem. Normally its a friction snap on type cover for the trough.

But I've seen more than one brand. I tried to search for it with cooper and Wiegmann. Also with Grainger, but nothing yet.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I know Iwire will know what I mean, but here is a horrible paint drawing of what it is.
Looks like a 2g mud ring mounted over a square hole to me.

Unless, of course, you want to be able to remove the cover without the ring.

Maybe a ring's holes will reach the trough's flanges. Then, just remove 4" of the cover.

nhfire77

Looks like a 2g mud ring mounted over a square hole to me.

Unless, of course, you want to be able to remove the cover without the ring.

Maybe a ring's holes will reach the trough's flanges. Then, just remove 4" of the cover.

I will reiterate my ineptitude with drawing free hand in paint. It'd not a mud ring though.

It's designed for a trough. It works like this device only it mounts inside the trough. There is no side and back. Also is does not mount in a cabinet, but in a trough:

http://www.1sae.com/products/acerbox/fr4.html

Last edited:

nhfire77

Thank you cadpoint for trying, but no, its not something that you can attach to a normal 4S box.

Its specifically designed for a trough.

nhfire77

Schneider, Carlon, Hoffmann and Hammond, but I don't recall any of those offering anything like you're looking for. Perhaps you've seen a craftman's adaptation. Wireways are built to hose wires, not to mount components.;)

I understand your skepticism, but I am 99.9% sure it was not custom.

nhfire77

The trough was 4"x4"x92". And painted steel.

The trough looked like a normal trough, the mounting plate was also gray painted steel.

I gotta get a picture for you guys. I just don't know when I will have the chance to.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

The trough looked like a normal trough, the mounting plate was also gray painted steel.

I gotta get a picture for you guys. I just don't know when I will have the chance to.

Sure sounds like 4000 wiremold. Doesn't your supply house have a Wiremold catalog? If you can get your hands on one look at the accessories for the 4000 to 6000 series steel raceways.

Roger

nhfire77

Sure sounds like 4000 wiremold. Doesn't your supply house have a Wiremold catalog? If you can get your hands on one look at the accessories for the 4000 to 6000 series steel raceways.

Roger

I looked at one online. All of the 4000 and 5000 series are only 2" or so deep. This was a standard 4"x4" size.

But, their catalogs are huge, I will go back and ask.

BJ Conner

No, imagine a 4x4 trough. A plate of some sorts mounts inside the trough, you then mount a device (think fire alarm monitor module) to it.

It allows you to mount several devices in a row, neatly. I am trying to find a picture of the end product, but am on the road for ten days and do not have all my pictures.

Have you looked at a Wiremold Catalog?
The 4000 series has a plate like your looking for. I don't think it 4" deep. That may be the 6000 series but I don't have a catalog here.

MisterCMK

I've seen system sensor type modules just screwed to the trough with self tappers. If you get them all in a row it can look alright but it is still far from ideal. This is where the Signature Series stuff is nice with the UIO boards and a MFC cabinet.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

...the answer to your question is manufactured by WIREMOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.