Article 682

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently ran new service feeders to an existing pole near a dam. This pole sits off to the side of a spillway maybe 50'-60' away. The grade at the pole is that of the dam and at least 8' above the spillway elevation. I checked the FEMA flood maps online and it's not in the floodplane either. My final was failed because the inspector is saying I need to install a equipotential plane because it falls within the electrical datum plane. I don't see how this applies as this location does not seem to fall under the electrical datum plane definitions in this article. Please advise.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

What does the service on this pole feed?

Just because the pole is 60' away from a dam does not necessarily kick in the requirements of Article 682.

Chris

The service feeds a remote telemetry cabinet at the pole location. I also feeds power to a junction box on the side of the spillway where it transitions to submergible cable that runs 600' out across the lake floor to a platform where it feeds another panel. This panel feeds the gate controllers located on the platform.

raider1

Staff member
I don't see the requirements for an equipotential plane being dependant on the electrical datum plane.

682.33(A) requires the equipotential plane to be installed adjacent to all outdoor service equipment or disconnecting means that control equipment in or on the water.

Chris

In 683.33 (A), does the requirement apply when the service equipment or disconnect are in or on the water, or when the equipment being controlled is in or on the water?

raider1

Staff member
Raider...wouldn?t the elevation remove that from the Equation

The elevation and the electrical datum plane come into play with the location of the electrical equipment. For example the service equipment must be elevated at least 12" above the electrical datum plane.

In 683.33 (A), does the requirement apply when the service equipment or disconnect are in or on the water, or when the equipment being controlled is in or on the water?

682.33(A) applies to service equipment or disconnect that supplies equipment on or in the water. The service itself can be located on land away from the body of water and 682.33(A) still applies if the service supplies equipment in or on the water.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.