Clearances from Ductwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenkitts

I ws wondering if someone on this site could tell me what the code requirements are for conduit to ductwork. I have an instance where the electrician attached his conduit(flexible) directly to my ductwork. Is this legal, does it meet code? If you don't ahve an ansswer and coul;d tell me where I could find the answer i would greatly appreciate it.

cadpoint

In New Constrcution its usually spec'd in the construction documents. Maintain 2" minimum clear or even
greater and that all Services will be independently supported!

It's funny that the NFPA 72 tells us how to attach it and at one lengths
but it will not say that one can't use other structures to do it.

Not that this case doesn't happen, but in those cases that this does usually it due to a limited
application of "Space", and someone in the "Know" will sign off on as to this one type of application.

In the worst case they will use the support rod or structure but never put it directly to another service!

You might check with your Building Codes and get the AHJ to
eyeball this drama!

& IMO;

And of course if we knew where the work is, someone could address this
more exactly as to how to answer this question!

Welcome to the Forum!

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I ws wondering if someone on this site could tell me what the code requirements are for conduit to ductwork. I have an instance where the electrician attached his conduit(flexible) directly to my ductwork. Is this legal, does it meet code? If you don't ahve an ansswer and coul;d tell me where I could find the answer i would greatly appreciate it.

What is the conduit for?

Sounds like a peeing contest???

cadpoint

What Bob is getting ready to say is that the Code allows that electrical
for that equipment can be secured to that equipment!

MAYBE!

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...it is acceptable to attach conduits to duct work, but only those associated with the functioning of the duct work to which it is attached. Any and all penetrations to duct (ie: self tapping screws) must be sealed with the appropriate goop

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What Bob is getting ready to say is that the Code allows that electrical
for that equipment can be secured to that equipment!

MAYBE!

...it is acceptable to attach conduits to duct work, but only those associated with the functioning of the duct work to which it is attached. Any and all penetrations to duct (ie: self tapping screws) must be sealed with the appropriate goop

Allows? Or does not prohibit.

Where is "goop" in the NEC?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
This seems like one of those cross domain questions. The electricians complain about plumbers using conduits to support the plumbers pipes, or running a pipe in their dedicated space. The plumbers don't know the NEC and the electricians don't know the plumbing code. Not sure which codes are involved for HVAC duct work.

The only NEC issue I see would be high ambients in the conduit if it was tightly screwed to a hot air duct. But just because the NEC doesn't prohibit something doesn't mean some other code book doesn't.

The Doc

Allen,
I know of no place within the NEC that would dictate the electrical contractor to not install his work in this manner. However, there are a few other places to look that may answer your question.
Not knowing where inthe country this work is, there might be a local ammendment to section 300 of the NEC. The project Specification would also allude to this.
Here in Nevada, it is common practice for the mechanical engineer to "not permit" other systems from being hung / supported / attached from them.

lastly, what is common practice where the work takes place.
Merry Christmas

skeshesh

Interesting discussion. I think it can be a pretty bad idea at times, since the ductwork wil experience small vibration and overtime the screw used to secure conduit support will cause a hole and possibly result in compromising the integrity of the ductwork. I've been looking around and I can't find any code violations though. Perhaps take a look in SMACNA publications as they may have a recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.