Schedule 80 pvc usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUESTION! Is there any code exceptions or variances that would allow us to install schedule 80 pvc above ground. At work, we have pipe chases that have collected water over years and all of the plumbing pipe as well as the electrical ridgid galvanized pipe, boxes and fittings have completely rusted away. Wire is hanging freely that used to be in pipe. With the continuous wet and damp nature of the pipe chase, we were wondering if we could install pvc? Help...............Rick

raider1

Staff member
PVC can be used above ground for wet locations and corrosive locations.

Keep in mind that there are special strapping requirements and thermal expansion requirements when using PVC above ground.

Take a look at Article 352 for the rules regarding using PVC conduit.

Chris

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Also remember that schedule 40 and schedule 80 are not mentioned in the code.

But their uses are described in the UL White Book and Schedule 80 is as follows.

Schedule 80 conduit has a reduced cross-sectional area available for wiring
space and is suitable for use wherever Schedule 40 conduit may be
used. The marking ??Schedule 80 PVC?? identifies conduit suitable for use
where exposed to physical damage and for installation on poles in accordance
with the NEC.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
QUESTION! Is there any code exceptions or variances that would allow us to install schedule 80 pvc above ground.

Yes but along with what has been mentioned keep in mind that schedule 80 PVC has the smallest inside diameter of any raceway so the conductors that were fine in RMC could be a violation in the same size PVC 80.

Jim W in Tampa

Could he use sch 40 if the pipe chase is protecting the conduit from physical damage?

If the conductors are protected by fuse or breakers 40 is fine but still the magic words SUBJECT TO DAMAGE. Everything is subject to damage. I would ask the inspector his opinion first. Best to stay on the winning side of him from the beginning

iwire

Staff member
Could he use sch 40 if the pipe chase is protecting the conduit from physical damage?

I think he could, I would also check the fill on that.

If I recall starting for any given trade size from the smallest inside diameter and working up:

1. PVC 80
  2. PVC 40
  3. RMC
  4. IMC
  5. EMT

Jim W in Tampa

It might, on the moon

I refuse to work that far out of town even if getting travel time LOL
Seriously almost any install is subject to dmage of some kind. Even rigid steel can be damaged. Ever seen a bent riser ? A tree can damage them fast.
I would say this is pretty much up to the inspector. Are cars likely to hit it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.