Vulcan Hart ET 88

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I would like to get a little help with this one. Customer called me to look at her double oven Vulcan Hart Model ET 88. She tells me that the temperature doe not get above 250 deg. It is wired to her 30A 2pole Dryer Circuit at her home.

From what I can see on the nameplate it is a 208 3 phase. I can not tell the Kw for this unit. I'm having a little trouble finding info on the Web. I did take a photo of the wire connection inside the unit and I'm not sure about the wiring, Black is on X, White on Y and Red on Z, I think it is wrong but I don't have much experience in this area.

Thanks in advance

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Norb, there are places on the web that sell these parts but I would contact Vulcan or Wolf and ask them for the part numbers and where to get it.

for Vulcan and Wolf call 800-814-2028

I believe it is 3 phase also.

ceb58

I would like to get a little help with this one. Customer called me to look at her double oven Vulcan Hart Model ET 88. She tells me that the temperature doe not get above 250 deg. It is wired to her 30A 2pole Dryer Circuit at her home.

From what I can see on the nameplate it is a 208 3 phase. I can not tell the Kw for this unit. I'm having a little trouble finding info on the Web. I did take a photo of the wire connection inside the unit and I'm not sure about the wiring, Black is on X, White on Y and Red on Z, I think it is wrong but I don't have much experience in this area.

Thanks in advance

Yes, it is slightly wrong. X,Y and Z are for ph A,B and C. It is not going to get to full temp on single phase. She probably got a deal on it with out doing any research or having any idea of what is what. Sell her a phase converter $$$$$

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is from craigslist.

28" wide Vulcan-Hart of Baltimore convection oven. Dual stainless steel front doors with viewing windows. Two inner oven lights with independent switches. Temperature settings ranging from 150 degrees F to 500 degrees F. Built in timer and load control switch, varying time it takes to reach desired temperature. The three heating elements use a 3 phase, 240 volt hook up.

Occupation
Inspector
Yes, it is slightly wrong. X,Y and Z are for ph A,B and C. It is not going to get to full temp on single phase. She probably got a deal on it with out doing any research or having any idea of what is what. Sell her a phase converter $$$$$

It was given to her by her Church, FREE I guess you get what what you pay for :) The electrician that hooked it up for her I don't think really knew what he was working with. I may not know much but some times I know I don't know.

This is from craigslist.

28" wide Vulcan-Hart of Baltimore convection oven. Dual stainless steel front doors with viewing windows. Two inner oven lights with independent switches. Temperature settings ranging from 150 degrees F to 500 degrees F. Built in timer and load control switch, varying time it takes to reach desired temperature. The three heating elements use a 3 phase, 240 volt hook up.

I saw this one as well but I think I have a different unit.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If this is a commercial unit in a residence, you need to warn her that commercial units do not have the insulation on the sides of the unit and it could start a fire if installed without the correct clearances around the unit. Most of them require a minimum of six inches all the way around them. Residential units are insulated and don't get to the same BTU ratings as commercial units.

Occupation
Inspector
If this is a commercial unit in a residence, you need to warn her that commercial units do not have the insulation on the sides of the unit and it could start a fire if installed without the correct clearances around the unit. Most of them require a minimum of six inches all the way around them. Residential units are insulated and don't get to the same BTU ratings as commercial units.

This is a double stacked unit that is on wheels and in her garage. Only one of the two ovens is connected.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This is a double stacked unit that is on wheels and in her garage. Only one of the two ovens is connected.

still, you know how people can pack things into a garage. I would hate to hear she put something against the side of it and burned down the house. People don't know what they aren't exposed to. I remember 20 years ago when wolf ranges started to be the rage in houses and people had a mind set that commercial was some how "better" because it was commercial. When the difference is, residential units are better because they are insulated and safer.

lakee911

The original was probably intended to have a 240V connection from each of the three phases. This probably has 120VAC from each leg across two of the phase connections and 240VAC across the third. I'm surprised it works at all.

Might be possible to open the unit up and parallel the three heating elements for 240VAC single phase.

norcal

Since Vulcan & Hobart share the same parent company (ITW) try a Hobart dealer for some info, they can be tight w/ information online.

Occupation
Inspector
I received an email today with a wiring diagram, see attachment. Am I reading this correctly that at 1 phase 240v there is a 104A draw?

dbuckley

Sure looks like it. The ET88 is stated at 25KW, and at 240V, 104A is right in the ballpark.

But, this diagram covers lots of models and options, so one would need to be sure exactly what configuration one is dealing with.

Jim W in Tampa

Her free is not so free now after paying first electrician and now you. If she lucky someone might take it off her hands for free. Put it back on craigs list. Why did she even want this thing.

ceb58

Sure looks like it. The ET88 is stated at 25KW, and at 240V, 104A is right in the ballpark.

But, this diagram covers lots of models and options, so one would need to be sure exactly what configuration one is dealing with.

It could be the rating of both units together. The ones I have dealt with were gas fired. The electrical was interconnected for the blower motors,lights and controls for both units.

It was given to her by her Church
If she is serious about getting it hooked up and is willing to pay for your time then go to the church and see how/what it was hooked to.

iwire

Staff member
I would walk away from this, it is an NEC violation to install a commercial oven in a dwelling unit, yeah I saw it was in the garage and that is a hair I would not want to split.

The electrical inspector should fail the installation anyway.

iwire

Staff member
Her free is not so free now after paying first electrician and now you. If she lucky someone might take it off her hands for free. Put it back on craigs list. Why did she even want this thing.

Call a used kitchen / restaurant equipment company, I am sure all large metropolitan areas have one. They can pick it up and may even pay something for it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sounds like the unit she has is wired for 3 phase. To convert to single phase do as it says switch leads 92 & 93. I would not do this as this unit is probably not designed for residential use.

I agree the KW is probably for a stacked unit and not one.

Status
Not open for further replies.