Time Clock with Aquatat

Status
Not open for further replies.

markstg

I have a hot water recirculation pump (fractional HP, 120VAC) in a residence that is controlled by an aquastat. I want to put a Time Clock on it so it doesn't run late at night. In looking at the Intermatic ST01C, it seems from the instructions that the TC switch leg needs to be connected to the load all the time, and can't be interrupted by the aquastat contact. Is this correct?
I was going to do the same for some photocell controlled lighting. If these won't work, guess I'm stuck with the more expensive Time Switches that have "real" contacts?

Merry Christmas

BILLY101

Use an Intermatic T101 or similar timer. These have dry contacts but the timer motor must be powered at all times to maintain time of day.
Most residential type photocell lighting controllers require power to be applied at all times.
If a combination of timer and photocell is desired the photocell must be powered first and the timer second in a series circuit.
This arrangement allows the lighting to come on at dusk and off at a set time.

BILLY

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have a hot water recirculation pump (fractional HP, 120VAC) in a residence that is controlled by an aquastat. I want to put a Time Clock on it so it doesn't run late at night. In looking at the Intermatic ST01C, it seems from the instructions that the TC switch leg needs to be connected to the load all the time, and can't be interrupted by the aquastat contact. Is this correct?
I was going to do the same for some photocell controlled lighting. If these won't work, guess I'm stuck with the more expensive Time Switches that have "real" contacts?

Merry Christmas
The Intermatic ST01C is a battery-operated programmable timer. The three wires are connected to a single-pole, double-throw relay. Black is Common, Blue is NO, and Red is NC. Battery power operates the electronics and the relay. The instructions do not tell you this. I can say the preceding from first-hand experience... as I recently wired one as a timer for my Christmas tree.

kwired

Electron manager
I will be a pessimist about hot water recirculator installed in a home.

A couple of points and these are JMO.

I understand the want to have virtually instant hot water, but it comes with a price of wasted energy or installing the source closer to the point of use.

For no more energy than you will likely save, why turn it off at night? Insulating the lines and placing multiple water heaters closer to the point of use would be best - especially if in a larger home.

During heating season you are not really wasting any heat it is just lessening the load on the heating system.

This is not a plumbing forum but running smaller hot water lines and more runs will also help instead of running a large line and branching off of it. It takes a lot more time and water to purge a 1 inch line than it takes to purge a 1/2 or 3/8 line. If all you want is hot water faster at a handwashing sink, run the smallest line you can and still get enough flow and put no other devices on it. A tub will run enough water that the time to purge is not important but the available volume to fill the tub faster is.

Status
Not open for further replies.