home made tugger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Anyone made their own wire tugger? I need to pull a 415' run of 4 #2 and 1 #4.

What size conduit is it ?

No.2 s with a no.4 grd pull it with your help we did it years ago do some work its not that bad .

Or buy a greenlee tugger and work less but if its a one time deal run and you dont have the cash .

Put 4 or 5 men on a rope and start pulling thats not a heavy pull its just a long one dont forget to push it in the conduit that makes a bigg differance and soap it .

Option 2 rigg up a sheave run it thur a sheave that will increase you pulling force less men might only need three now .

Give more info and how many bends overhead underground give us more and well help ya .

And yes i have made my own tugger and its safe ill post a picture if you like and many different ways to rigg pulleys and sheaves there you best friends !

Last edited:

Davis9

I bought a maxxis 1000 about 7 years ago, use it with your hole hawg and it works nicely for smaller conductor pulls. I've used it for some bigger stuff but it struggles. IIRC it was less than 400 and if you have the hole hawg you're golden.

Tom

Electron_Sam78

What size conduit is it ?

No.2 s with a no.4 grd pull it with your help we did it years ago do some work its not that bad .

Or buy a greenlee tugger and work less but if its a one time deal run and you dont have the cash .

Put 4 or 5 men on a rope and start pulling thats not a heavy pull its just a long one dont forget to push it in the conduit that makes a bigg differance and soap it .

Option 2 rigg up a sheave run it thur a sheave that will increase you pulling force less men might only need three now .

Give more info and how many bends overhead underground give us more and well help ya .

And yes i have made my own tugger and its safe ill post a picture if you like and many different ways to rigg pulleys and sheaves there you best friends !

This is an underground pull in 2inch sch 80 pvc. It has 2 90s, 1 approx 100-110 degree bend and some zigzags due to terrain that didn't need a heated bend.

Yeah I'd like to see a pic of your tugger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is an underground pull in 2inch sch 80 pvc. It has 2 90s, 1 approx 100-110 degree bend and some zigzags due to terrain that didn't need a heated bend.

Yeah I'd like to see a pic of your tugger

Did you use metallic 90's or at least one at the pulling end?

Roger

Electron_Sam78

Got the pull done today. I made this tugger from a 2x4, some 5/8" steel round stock, some 1/8" steel brackets, and 4 each 4-1/2" hole saw plugs lined with rubber tape. Worked like a champ with a 3/4" drill attached to the rod of the bottom wheel. From the time the drill was put on to the end of the pull was less than 1 hour.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I used to use a small winch on the truck. I had all the cable removed. There was nothing but the drum. That way, I could wrap my rope a time or two,(or three, depending on distance) The rope could never get too tight, as it would slip. Now I use a butterfly on a line truck, or a mitee winch capstan. (I still have my winch on the four wheeler for side jobs). Flat rope (Tug tape) works well on a capstan winch. I have made 1000' ft(thousand) pulls with 3/8 flat rope. The trick is to use 36" radius elbows.

buddhakii

In the circle pull you have side wall pressure for the entire length, instead of just the distance of four sweeps.

When pulling in the bigger wire though tension gets higher when the head hits the 90, but as soon as it gets around the tension goes back down. Much easier to get a head around a long sweep then a short 90.

e57

it actually did quite well and was not noticeably hot. Very powerful drill and was used in short burst the whole time to pull 12-24 inches pur tug.
By the looks of the rig - you could have easily pulled it by hand. Since the wood and the few screws in it would have self-desctructed otherwise.

A safety tip mentioned earlier in the thread about nylon rope eluded you though - if this were a pull worthy of - or in need of a tugger - that rope would have snapped up and gone for the place to do the most damage - like your eyes....

attachment.php

topper

Glad it worked out, hopefully you made some money and can invest in a factory built tugger. I sure like the Maxis, I have the 3k and a 10K, but I could not figure out how to do a side pull with either one and dug out the old Greenlee. The best investment was the Maxis triggers, very safe to be able to stop the puller for either end of the pull and the will work with any puller.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.