Disconnect switch working space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK D

Does the 30" x 36" x 78" rule for working space apply to a 50 amp non-fusible disconnect switch for equipment? Would a knife switch ever need "serviced"?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is a question that the ahj will have to make. At our meeting in Raleigh, NC there were about 10 members of the code panel and the answer to that question was ----YES. Obviously the headroom would not be required as disconnects are in crawl spaces, attic and suspended ceilings.

radiopet

Personal Opinion -

Yes, ,the working space requirement will indeed apply to this piece of electrical equipment per NEC 110.26(A)

2011- 110.26(A)
(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating
at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to
require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance
while energized shall comply with the dimensions of
110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted
elsewhere in this Code.

Now, if you can convince your local AHJ that the equipment is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized then half your battle is won. However, based on all the panels and boards I have served on in various electrical capacities....they always required the working space for what it is worth.

P.S. For those that may not believe that switch is equipment...Here ya Go

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances,
luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

Enjoy !

retire09

If it is not likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized then 110.26(A) 1, 2 and 3 do not apply. The mechanical code would require working space on the service side of the equipment but I don't see the disconnect as meeting any of the needs described. Voltage and amperage draw can be checked at the equipment access. Just my opinion; I know many inspectors require it.

AK D

AHJ says ok to non-fusible knife switch

AHJ says ok to non-fusible knife switch

Well, I got my answer from the inspector himself. He said this municipality's interpretation is that a non-fusible knife switch provides the disconnecting means necessary to service the equipment it feeds, but it does not need serviced itself (theoretically). And by the way, it is in a crawl space so that was my dilemma.

I guess the issue remains if I would somehow need a fusible disconnect in a crawl space...get your shovel to dig 78"!

radiopet

Well, I got my answer from the inspector himself. He said this municipality's interpretation is that a non-fusible knife switch provides the disconnecting means necessary to service the equipment it feeds, but it does not need serviced itself (theoretically). And by the way, it is in a crawl space so that was my dilemma.

I guess the issue remains if I would somehow need a fusible disconnect in a crawl space...get your shovel to dig 78"!

lol....your dilemma was not stated in the original question...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.