cable tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Home owner want us to run cable tv on an addition we did the wiring. Question Does all the tv's required a home run to the acces box? I mean all the boxes. or does it has to do with which type of service he is getting? Cable, Dish etc

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally a home run is needed at each box. I have seen a daisy chain work but it is a bad idea with signal loss and that also inhibits the ability for easy changes to the system.

ceb58

Home owner want us to run cable tv on an addition we did the wiring. Question Does all the tv's required a home run to the acces box? I mean all the boxes. or does it has to do with which type of service he is getting? Cable, Dish etc

Generally a home run is needed at each box. I have seen a daisy chain work but it is a bad idea with signal loss and that also inhibits the ability for easy changes to the system.

Agreed, home run to each. This is a good money making opportunity. If you have the experience you can up-sell to a network box in the home. I point out to customers that the cable company will hook up 2 lines. Then they charge extra monthly fee for every drop over 2.

tkb

If you could get paid for it, I would suggest that you run a cat5e cable also.
All devices will want to be on a home network in the future.
Cabled is better than wi-fi for video

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
.... I point out to customers that the cable company will hook up 2 lines. Then they charge extra monthly fee for every drop over 2.

You realize that by making connections the customer isn't paying for, you are breaking the law. Its akin to stealing cable service.

I've only worked in two areas that had cable companies with this policy. On a remodel job I did, the cable co came and took out my splitter and ran all the lines to the outside of the house where they could visually check how many lines were connected. I only found this out when I got a phone call from the cable co informing me of such.

Its impossible to know every providers policy, but I don't suggest doing it when you absolutely know they charge by each connected set.

ceb58

You realize that by making connections the customer isn't paying for, you are breaking the law. Its akin to stealing cable service.

I've only worked in two areas that had cable companies with this policy. On a remodel job I did, the cable co came and took out my splitter and ran all the lines to the outside of the house where they could visually check how many lines were connected. I only found this out when I got a phone call from the cable co informing me of such.

Its impossible to know every providers policy, but I don't suggest doing it when you absolutely know they charge by each connected set.

From my experience it has never been a problem. I have had the cable people come in to hook up their modem for Roadrunner Internet to the network box and there wasnt any thing said.

satcom

The cable companies do not care who does the inside wiring, they make their 1000 percent profit on their plans and are happy they can milk the customers for that much.

renosteinke

After 'the box' it's all up to you. You can have the cable company run the 'inside' lines, or you can DIY. I think this point gets confused, as the cable company will typically include some inside wiring - at least a jack - as part of their basic cable install.

Those who do installs for the cable company -it's almost always contracted out- can confirm that the 'basic install' includes a certain amount of cable, etc. Anything over the 'package' will cost the contractor money. You'd be amazed at the things some folks want included in the 'free' install!

Ideal has a very nice guide on their site for running coax. Yes, it means you should make everything a 'home run.' Longer runs get a different type of wire, and there is wire with a steel 'messenger' for those overhead runs.

If you plan to use the cable for internet, there are some other details that apply.

Last summer, I re-did my place. The cable had been run by the cable company when cable TV was still a novelty, and the 'rules' had not yet been learned. My place was a textbook of exactly how you're NOT supposed to do it. Here are some of the pointers:
- Only compression connectors are weather-tight;
- Yes, it needs to be grounded at the service;
- Avoid sharp turns- don't try to follow every contour of the molding;
- Every penetration needs a drip loop and sealing; and,
- Use proper, wide, plastic staples.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Most cable companies I've dealt with need a box for each television, so they charge based on how many boxes you have. If you have the basic cable (usually just the local channels and maybe a couple of weird ones they're not really delivering much anyway, so splitting it to a couple rooms isn't a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.