New Bridgeport fitting = to Kenny Clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Cost for the Bridgeport MC-050 fitting is $9.60 each. Seems like the Kenny Clamp was $3.00 or so. Bridgeport works with a 8-2 AWG, Kenny clamp is different for each AWG.

Is it required? Bridgeport went to lot of expense to develop and market this device. They must seem some need.

Bridgeport makes a version for coupling, I can see a use for that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Where does the code tell us we need a connector for this conductor?

I am with you don... I use the hole in the meter or I will drill one however I do use a 1/2 " NM connector on a 400 amp meterbase when I have my #2 GEC going to the meter. I guess I could drill a hole but there is usually a 1/2" KO n the base so I use that.

480sparky

....... Bridgeport went to lot of expense to develop and market this device. .........

Probably because Kenny Clamps are such a cash cow Bridgeport wants a piece of the action.

Kennyclampposter.jpg

LJSMITH1

I have no problems getting out the cordless drill.

My question is: What is the advantage to using these products.... how does the installation of them increase the safety of the overall system?

To me, all the connections that the fitting has simply increases it's resistance. The connection between it and the GEC. The connection (or connections) from there to the body of the fitting. Now it needs a connection to the tub....which involves removing paint in most cases. Then you've got the connection between the tub and the bonding screw. Maybe there's a strap between the screw and the neutral/ground bar. And finally, you make it to the neutral/ground bar.

If the GEC is already firmly terminated in the neutral/ground bar, what practical purpose do these fittings serve, then? Trying to get a ground fault to follow such a circuitous route can't work, IMPO.

And if you install an insulated GEC, all these things do is look pretty.

Actually it decreases the impedance/resistance to the tub. The conductor is continuous from the GEC to the neutral bus.

Contact resistance is directly affected by contact surface area and contact pressure (assuming base material resistance is not a factor). The fitting is specifically designed to maximize the contact pressure and surface area, which lowers the overall impedance of the bond connection between the GEC and the tub. The result is that a more reliable ground-fault path is produced, AND the path is not reliant on a single bond screw from the neutral bus to the tub. This is why the KC was originally developed.

Were there failures or other issues that predicated the development of the KC? I don't know. What I do know is that more local AHJ's want the additional protection of the meter can, or large service equipment enclosures.

LJSMITH1

Or they think they can get a code requirement put in place to require this thing without any proof it is needed.

No, we are not involved in some conspiracy to get the code amended to require our new product to be used.:roll:

It was developed solely as a better solution to the KC. While the pricing may be a little high, over time we hope to be even more competitive (volume manufacturing). It certainly is simpler in design - only using a set screw, body, and a locknut to achieve the same thing as the KC's 5 components.

The KC was developed not to 'replace' the GEC bonding connection between the tub and the neutral bus, but to 'augment' it. Apparently, many AHJ's agreed as they seem to be required in many installs.

Our MC series fittings are listed for the application as required in 250.8. Unfortunately, an NM strap connector (like the 650-DC) is not listed for that purpose. ....and I know....thousands of electricians have been using that fitting for eons without anything ever blowing up... I have also seen the 650-DC used as a feeder splice clamp - instead of a split bolt or other approved means.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... The result is that a more reliable ground-fault path is produced, AND the path is not reliant on a single bond screw from the neutral bus to the tub. This is why the KC was originally developed. ...
The connection of the GEC to the enclosure or to the grounded conductor is not really a part of the ground fault path. That is the job of the main bonding jumper.

LJSMITH1

The connection of the GEC to the enclosure or to the grounded conductor is not really a part of the ground fault path. That is the job of the main bonding jumper.

True and I am not debating that. Like I said, the KC was developed to add a redundant connection to the enclosure. It is not used to complete the GEC circuit to the jumper.

iwire

Staff member
True and I am not debating that. Like I said, the KC was developed to add a redundant connection to the enclosure. It is not used to complete the GEC circuit to the jumper.

Now lets be honest, the inventor (of the Kenny Clamp) developed it to make money.

This is a case of developing a fix for a problem that did not exist.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
OK so a Kenny clamp or similar product is not required. We know that using a NM squeeze connector is no good because it's not listed for a single conductor. The GEC is not required to mechanically connected to the enclosure so we can run it through a hole. My question is how big can that hole be? A 1/2" or 3/4" KO? A drilled hole 1/16" larger than the conductor?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Now lets be honest, the inventor developed it to make money.

This is a case of developing a fix for a problem that did not exist.

I heard the Kenny Clamp manufacturer is now working on an Earth Entrance Fitting for the GEC and it looks amazingly like a short piece of 1/2" PVC but it will cost as much as a full stick of 4" sched 80. ;)

Roger

iwire

Staff member
No, we are not involved in some conspiracy to get the code amended to require our new product to be used.:roll:

Uh huh.

I will remain doubtful of that.

The KC was developed not to 'replace' the GEC bonding connection between the tub and the neutral bus, but to 'augment' it. Apparently, many AHJ's agreed as they seem to be required in many installs.

The fact that a small percentage of AHJs may be asking for it means nothing at all.

Unless you are telling me these AHJs did testing to prove the need for the device.

Our MC series fittings are listed for the application as required in 250.8. Unfortunately, an NM strap connector (like the 650-DC) is not listed for that purpose.

The code does not require any connector for the GEC entering an enclosure.

....and I know....thousands of electricians have been using that fitting for eons without anything ever blowing up...

So I guess if a small percentage of AHJs ask for something without substation that is reason enough to prove a need.

But if thousands have been using a product without a problem that means nothing.

Make the thing gold plated rename it a "Monster GEC Connector" and sell it for $100 bucks for those that want that but lets not even begin to pretend this will not find it's way into the code as a requirement.

iwire

Staff member
OK so a Kenny clamp or similar product is not required. We know that using a NM squeeze connector is no good because it's not listed for a single conductor. The GEC is not required to mechanically connected to the enclosure so we can run it through a hole. My question is how big can that hole be? A 1/2" or 3/4" KO? A drilled hole 1/16" larger than the conductor?

I don't know, how big can the unused key hole mounting slots in a loadcenter be?

LJSMITH1

Uh huh.

I will remain doubtful of that.

Go ahead and be 'doubtful'...I can only speak for my company, not for others. PM me and I'll explain further.

It only means something if you are working for one of the AHJ's that are 'requiring' some kind of redundant bond. Look, we didn't 'invent' this need, we are providing an alternative for those who currently use the KC. Period. So go ahead and debate as much as you want about it's application.

Don't even get me started on Monster Cable "products"....:roll:

LJSMITH1

I would say no larger than 1/16" more than the conductor OD. It seems that UL514B and UL514A use that number to determine how well a fitting closes a KO, or how well a KO is sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.