Aluminum feeder for Main Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

normrunk

We have a 1200 amp service with existing 3-4" PVC conduits from power company transformer to Main disconnect. We want to use 700 MCM XHHW-2 aluminum to feed the main. Is this acceptable. We realize that we are using the 90 degree rating of 420 amps for the aluminum. The terminal lugs are rated @ 90 degrees.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

You will not be able to use the 90 degree column of Table 310.16 for the ampacity of the conductors. The lugs may be rated for 90 degrees C but the equipment the lugs are connected to will most likely not be rated for 90 degrees C.

You would need to use the 75 degree column which would limit the ampacity of the 700's to 375 amps.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Chris. In fact with those conduits you may need to use copper if you need 3 phase with neutral and ground. Otherwise you can go with parallel 350kcm in each conduit depending on the neutral and ground and assuming the neutral is not a CCC

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Chris. In fact with those conduits you may need to use copper if you need 3 phase with neutral and ground. Otherwise you can go with parallel 350kcm in each conduit depending on the neutral and ground and assuming the neutral is not a CCC

So you're talking about 6 sets of conductors in 3 conduits?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Dennis what is a CCC:confused:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
We have a 1200 amp service with existing 3-4" PVC conduits from power company transformer to Main disconnect. We want to use 700 MCM XHHW-2 aluminum to feed the main. Is this acceptable. We realize that we are using the 90 degree rating of 420 amps for the aluminum. The terminal lugs are rated @ 90 degrees.

Welcome to the forum.:)

You will not be able to use the 90 degree column of Table 310.16 for the ampacity of the conductors. The lugs may be rated for 90 degrees C but the equipment the lugs are connected to will most likely not be rated for 90 degrees C.

You would need to use the 75 degree column which would limit the ampacity of the 700's to 375 amps.

Chris

By what Chris is suggesting you are at 3 X 375 = 1125 Amps. I see no problem with that, unless you have a 1200 amp load.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Otherwise you can go with parallel 350kcm in each conduit depending on the neutral and ground and assuming the neutral is not a CCC

So you were figuring:

350 Kcmil Al XHHW-2 = 280 amps
6-CCC's = 280 * 2 sets * 80%=448 amps in each raceway
448 amps * 3 conduits = 1344 amps

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For future reference and a better understanding of 110.14(C) application, the link below is to a Square D Data Bulletin titled: Wire Temperature Ratings and Terminations...

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Power Management/0110DB9901.pdf

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Next size up rule is not permited to use over 800 amps .
Your wire will have to be rated at lest for 1200 amps or higher !!!

Forgot about that one, I don't normally do over 800 amp work.
That is what I like about the Forum, you get reminded really quickly. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.