Mixed Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomflath

I am building a mixed use building in NJ. Retail on first floor and apartments on second floor. Building is steel structure with a concrete floor over metal decking. We used SER cable to feed the breaker panels in the apartments on second floor. The cable runs from partial basement up to apartments. It passes horizontaly through the bar joists above the retail space to the apartments. The bar joists used for second floor will be covered with drop ceiling in retail space. We cleared the use with ME and local electrical authority. We missed the construction official who is tell me I have to use a fire rate ceiling tile in drop ceilings in retail space to protect this SER cable. Do you have any ideas on how I can address this with out useing a rated ceiling tile?:-?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Actually rated tiles won't do it either, read 338.10(B)(4) which will take you to 334.
334.12(A)(2) prohibits the installation regardless of whether its a rated ceiling tile or not.

Where are you located and why didn't your EC know this?

Roger

Inspectorfabs

Inspectorfabs

I would check the uniform construction code chapter 6 the rehab subcode as to the applicable codes required for this installation if it's an existing building.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would check the uniform construction code chapter 6 the rehab subcode as to the applicable codes required for this installation if it's an existing building.
I think the OP's first sentence takes the rehab code out of the equation. ;)

Roger

RICK NAPIER

The NJ Uniform Construction Code has deleted that section of the NEC in the following section. So there is no prohibition in using ser cable in a drop ceiling in NJ. And chapter six does not apply but if it did this code section has been deleted since original inseption.

5:23-3(b)(4)iii. Section 334.12(A)(2) is deleted in its entirety.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The OP said they got an Okay from the ahj with the ser so I am guessing they allow it. I believe Mass. has an amendment allowing this also.

You could sleeve the ser in pvc, if allowed- no plenum.

Status
Not open for further replies.