Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flippy

Does anyone know how the residential and commercial service market is doing in southeast Florida? I?m thinking about moving down there and starting a service business. I have my Florida EC, but live in NC. Any thoughts?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I hear it's poor from EC's in south and central FL.

Roger

Cavie

The service market is about the only thing going on here now. Not much construction here just like everywhere else. Get into the have to market.
Restrurants, manufacturing businesses. The types of businesses that must have up to date and imeadiate service to function. It's hard to break into. there's not much in the residential service end.

GUNNING

Don't come here.

Don't come here.

Its picking up here in central Florida but not profitable yet. Probably wont be profitable for a couple of years yet.

The customs have changed here. EC's are not needed as before.

ohmhead

Florida every job has 15 other Electrical contractors biding from our state and other states .

We have small electrical contractors who are now bidding on large government projects due to our local government wanting to give everyone a chance to make some of Obamas cash hand outs but dont have the bonding and the people to do the work so there going to loose it all lots of contractors dropping out closing there doors .

As far as industrial or service work we dont have lots of factories to speak of mostly fruit packing plants and milking plants a few Silcone Chip Companys .

Residential is out nothing going on here but a few jobs .

Most new construction work is government funded projects and local state stuff and lots of electricians out of work here .

Ive been here since 1971 and working as a electrician so i know whats going on in Florida .

We travel all over the state to find work and other states to keep afloat its not a good year for Florida .

The weather is nice its about 65 deg today so if you like fishing its great here .

Disney brings in the folks were hoping they start building soon universal is also big here .

But they keep who they know working its about trust and knowing what they get on each job .

Good luck !

Last edited:

Flippy

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to stay north, but there's nothing going on here either. Although I do like to fish and 65 is better than the 19 we had the other day. A friend of mine says I just need to stay small and concentrate on industrial electrical control systems. I've designed and built a lot of control panels for different industrial applications. You guys think there might be a market in SE FL for that?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I worked 23 days straight before Thanksgiving and have been doing 6 days 9-11hrs a day since. We are hiring right now. Things are picking up IMO.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
we advertise for service work in tallahassee; the resi calls have been slow the past few months, but the ones we do get are decent. We have a lot of customers that work for the state gov't and universities. They don't seem as worried about their jobs and $$ as other customers.

We do a lot of restaurant work in north FL and the panhandle; I'd say at least 20 or so; its good work if you can get it.

We have 2, maybe 3 new commercial projects in FL right now.

I don't think its any different than other areas at the moment.

jmsbrush

I feel like its picking up. Every year has been better than the last for us. One key is to have a good marketing plan, which includes having a marketing budget that you can stick to every month. Using your money on effective marketing and know when to use and pull out of certain media's.
Know your costs and know how to price based off your costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.