Crimp ends (sta-kons, etc.) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know why terminals with the same basic specs (ex. #10 fork terminal for 12-10 AWG, vinyl insulation) vary in price so dramatically? I'm seeing price spreads from a few bucks per 50 pcs to almost $80 per 50 pcs. I never really paid attention to the prices before but I've been on a job recently where I went through at least 100 terminals of various types and now I'm wondering whether I should start paying attention to what I buy...

hurk27

There are many grades of crimp on wire terminals, and for many reasons come made in a verity of materials, so yes you must pay close attention to what your buying, I have seen some high temp stuff have a very high price, and some generally use chepo terminals so cheap you would think their giving them away, but you find out why when you go to use them, also there can be a big difference with female and male spade connectors, good ones are spring harden and will hold a good connection for a long time while cheep ones will loosen very easily and loose connection.

PetrosA

Thanks for the response. In some ways buying over the internet is great. In others, it was easier to just go to the supply house and buy what was on hand. I've continued my digging around but still haven't come up with much in the way of what I should be looking for specs-wise. I know I don't want (and never bought!) the really cheap stuff in kits or from Harbor Freight. What I'm still trying to figure out is what's the difference between the better ones, or is it name brand that spikes the prices? From Grainger I have a comparison list of 8 #10 10-12AWG fork terminals, vinyl insulated. The prices range from $8 to $59 per 50 pack. The specs in the comparison table all seem very similar.

I'm trying not to overthink this, but that large a variation in price makes you wonder. Websites like mouser.com or newark.com show even bigger variations since they carry Panduit, AMP, Tyco plus the really cheap brands and it's even harder to get comparisons from them.

hurk27

Thanks for the response. In some ways buying over the internet is great. In others, it was easier to just go to the supply house and buy what was on hand. I've continued my digging around but still haven't come up with much in the way of what I should be looking for specs-wise. I know I don't want (and never bought!) the really cheap stuff in kits or from Harbor Freight. What I'm still trying to figure out is what's the difference between the better ones, or is it name brand that spikes the prices? From Grainger I have a comparison list of 8 #10 10-12AWG fork terminals, vinyl insulated. The prices range from $8 to $59 per 50 pack. The specs in the comparison table all seem very similar.

I'm trying not to overthink this, but that large a variation in price makes you wonder. Websites like mouser.com or newark.com show even bigger variations since they carry Panduit, AMP, Tyco plus the really cheap brands and it's even harder to get comparisons from them.

I agree it's been a guessing game, back when T&B had the monoploy on Sta-Kons I stuck with them, and their cataloge listed the many differant matierals of each connector, so I stayed with them, but even they had a change of quality and I still am searching for beter quality connectors.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Some barrels seams are welded, most are not.
There are many different types of insulation, whose costs vary greatly.

Many installers ignore the installation instructions (i.e. indent crimp versus seam relationship) and most (?)use any crimping device available. Some terminals are more forgiving than others.

gndrod

This may seem like a stupid question, but does anyone know why terminals with the same basic specs (ex. #10 fork terminal for 12-10 AWG, vinyl insulation) vary in price so dramatically? I'm seeing price spreads from a few bucks per 50 pcs to almost $80 per 50 pcs. I never really paid attention to the prices before but I've been on a job recently where I went through at least 100 terminals of various types and now I'm wondering whether I should start paying attention to what I buy...

Hi Peter A,
As mentioned, you may have picked up the nickle plated hi-temp spade lugs. The AMP crimp type with insulator were the elec industry main choice back in the 1950's until Cinch and T & B knocked AMP off. If they are made in China...I would think twice due to the lower temp insulation.

Jacob S

Although this does not exactly answer your question, I will tell you I have used hundreds of terminals from Automation Direct, and have found them to be great quality. The plastic is securely attached to the metal spade, they seem to be normal gauge metal, and crimp well. Compared to the panduit and AMP connectors I used to use, they seem to be similar in quality and at a lower cost. I do use my AMP ratcheting crimper with them, which results in a nice consistent crimp every time.

StephenSDH

Although this does not exactly answer your question, I will tell you I have used hundreds of terminals from Automation Direct, and have found them to be great quality. The plastic is securely attached to the metal spade, they seem to be normal gauge metal, and crimp well. Compared to the panduit and AMP connectors I used to use, they seem to be similar in quality and at a lower cost. I do use my AMP ratcheting crimper with them, which results in a nice consistent crimp every time.

I don't know why but they don't sell the quick connect sta-kons.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, there is often little difference in quality or utility between the different brands of such connectors.

There are some differences though. Some are insulated, others are not.

I would stick to welded barrels.

The most critical thing IMO is to use a real ratcheting type crimping tool instead of a plier type tool. Use the right tool too. The different brands have different barrel lengths and if you use a tool designed for one brand it may not work real well on another brand. You can imagine how I found out these two issues were really important.

Too much of a crimp is as bad as not enough.

PetrosA

IMO, there is often little difference in quality or utility between the different brands of such connectors.

There are some differences though. Some are insulated, others are not.

I would stick to welded barrels.

The most critical thing IMO is to use a real ratcheting type crimping tool instead of a plier type tool. Use the right tool too. The different brands have different barrel lengths and if you use a tool designed for one brand it may not work real well on another brand. You can imagine how I found out these two issues were really important.

Too much of a crimp is as bad as not enough.

I mostly carry and use insulated crimps. The two main situations I need to use crimps are either to repair wires in a box (ex. old wires that are too short to reach a device) or when installing stranded THHN, MTW or SO to devices or terminals. Up until recently I only had one of the cheap style stamped steel crimpers that crimps, cuts screws, strips wire and pinches fingers. I borrowed a pliers type crimper and tried that, but wasn't impressed. I finally made the decision to get a real controlled cycle ratcheting set a few weeks ago and found a good deal on a Panduit CT-1551. What a difference! Now I'm a real crimp snob :)

The other day I watched some control guys using the plier type crimpers on dozens of insulated crimps. Instead of using the notch for the insulated ones, they were using the U-shaped one for bare crimps which pierced every crimp they made. It was tough keeping my mouth shut...

Status
Not open for further replies.