Another generator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Does anyone see a problem with a standby gen set powering a sub panel in a commercial building?
There is one meter for a 600a service and 6 seperate units with sub panels. One of the tennants is afraid of loosing power for more than 24 hrs.
I don't think there would be a problem, but would like other opinions.
Thanks......:confused:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No reason he could not use a manual transfer switch ether.
That is correct I suppose. As long as we're getting wierd here does the generator come on by itself during a power failure ? If you're using a manual xfer switch you can also use a portable generator and when the power goes out have the tenant leave their office, go to the shed they erected on the property specifically for the generator, pull out the generator, wheel it over to the connection port on the building, pull the cord and start it up, plug the power cord into the connection port and throw the xfer switch. Sorry CEB, I made an assumption here seeing as how this was a commercial setting. I figured as long as you're spending the $$$ for a generator, why not make it a stationary unit and why not spend a few more $$ for an ATS ?:confused:

wbw1989

I didnt read it was for a tenant, but i dont know if that would change anything. I remember doing a job where a commercial building wanted a generator for just a few small loads and the inspector required the fire pump to be on the generator as well.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didnt read it was for a tenant, but i dont know if that would change anything. I remember doing a job where a commercial building wanted a generator for just a few small loads and the inspector required the fire pump to be on the generator as well.
Now that's an interesting point. In this case would the tenant be required to have the building's fire pump on his electrical service & generator (assuming the service is separately metered)?

Status
Not open for further replies.