Solar PV Grounded Conductor Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevee

Does the grounded conductor of a DC output circuit have to be identied by the color white or grey as required in NEC 200.6?

Is it permissible to use a colored conductor, let's say black for the grounded conductor?

Does the color identification apply to the source circuit conductors also?

iwire

Staff member
Does the grounded conductor of a DC output circuit have to be identied by the color white or grey as required in NEC 200.6?

Is it permissible to use a colored conductor, let's say black for the grounded conductor?

Does the color identification apply to the source circuit conductors also?

Grounded conductors must be white or gray regardless of AC or DC and regardless of the polarity.

It the conductors are 4 AWG or larger you can re-identify them to white or gray.

raider1

Staff member
Grounded conductors must be white or gray regardless of AC or DC and regardless of the polarity.

It the conductors are 4 AWG or larger you can re-identify them to white or gray.

I agree with Bob.

Just curious, do you have an actual grounded conductor in the DC output circuit?

Most of the PV systems that I have inspected do not have a grounded DC output circuit.

In fact I have made installers remove the white #10 and replace it with another color because the DC output circuit was ungrounded.

Chris

OTT2

I agree with Bob.

Just curious, do you have an actual grounded conductor in the DC output circuit?

Most of the PV systems that I have inspected do not have a grounded DC output circuit.

In fact I have made installers remove the white #10 and replace it with another color because the DC output circuit was ungrounded.

Chris

In most if not all of the PV systems I've seen the PV output circuits have been grounded at the inverter. These generaly are bonded to the grounding electrode conductor through the Ground Fault Protective device as indicated in 690.42 exception

raider1

Staff member
In most if not all of the PV systems I've seen the PV output circuits have been grounded at the inverter. These generaly are bonded to the grounding electrode conductor through the Ground Fault Protective device as indicated in 690.42 exception

The systems that I have dealt with have been ungrounded as permitted in 690.35.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.