uninsulated neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
Uhhh................

I believe what Chris is trying to point out is that if I use an uninsulated grounded conductor with a metallic wiring method then you would wind up getting objectionable current flowing on the metallic wiring method and grounded and bonded equipment.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Art. 230.41 addresses bare conductors in a raceway. I assume it is not an issue.

310.2 states it must be insulated except in other areas of the code which allow it to be bare. If we knew more where he was going maybe we can give a better help. As far as I know, the service is the only place a grounded conductor may be bare.

other than 310.2A. is there any other articles saying the grounded condutor must be insulated?
thanks

The objective of a grounded system is that the grounding between the conductor required to be grounded occurs at one place. (Of course this goes out on the window when the Utility grounds it at the transformer and the electrician bonds the ground and neutral in the service entrance panel.) So a bare conductor would allow multiple connection between the 'neutral' and ground, thus is undesirable. The SEU bare conductor is within an insulated jacket so it's potential to incidentally connect to ground is limited at the two ends, at the transformer/meter and in the panel.

boatfull

other than 310.2A. is there any other articles saying the grounded condutor must be insulated?
thanks
I should have been more specific, sorry. Its a small motel. I'ts the sub-feeds. The sub- feed is in IMC. The neutral is bare. Its not a back to back service. The runs vary from 20' to 100'. It is not se cable.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.