T5HO-54 watt 4' and 8' strip lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I recently won a bid to upgrade the lighting for a utility for a large subdivision where I had done a lift station service and controls install, they are wanting to up grade the lighting for their maintenance building, when I did the bid, I did some pricing not thinking there would be a problem with availability of T5HO strip fixtures, knowing that the T5HO technology has been out now for what 10-15 years, I would have not ever thought this would be so hard to locate the fixtures I need, boy was I wrong, I have received some decent quotes from a couple local suppliers and both returned quotes for Lithonia Z254T5hom 4' tandem lamp and TZ154T5HOM 8' double inline lamp fixtures, but the problem is the 3 to 5 week wait time, no one seems to have them in stock.

And I was floored that it seems Lithonia is about the only manufacture that seems to offer these simple strip fixtures with the T5HO configuration, I called Lithonia myself only to get a response that they don't stock them and only manufacture them as they are ordered, which includes waiting for them to put them in production after they are done with running other type fixtures on the line.

Granger does stock them but are twice the price that I have a quote for and would eat into my profit margin to much, my question is basically does anyone know of a source or manufacture who offers a T5HO strip fixtures and have them in stock, I was wanting to start the job next week, but its hard to explain that I might have to wait 3-5 weeks to a customer. There are 3 150 watt PS-MH wall packs that I ordered from RUUD that I ordered last Wednesday and received them the next day which I can go ahead and install, but it would be nice to take my bucket truck out there and do all of them at one time, its about a 3 day job once I get started.

Thanks for any help I can get.:grin:

BJ Conner

Nurserys

Nurserys

T-5s are used for indoor plants. Try a nursery supply place.
Don't forget the tubes that go over them.

hurk27

T-5s are used for indoor plants. Try a nursery supply place.
Don't forget the tubes that go over them.
I have googled them and have went to a few site for grow fixtures, and they are nothing like what I need, and no way for the price they are charging, also found a few aquarium type too.

While yes they are used for grow lights with special high UV lamps, T5HO 54 watt fixtures have been around for over 10 years, and range from high bay, low bay to water proof strips, tubes to go over the lamps are only required in areas where they are around exposed food?

Here is a link to some high bays I use to replace 400 watt metal halide fixtures with, that produce more lumen's for less energy 34,000 lumen's @ 324 watts verses the 23,000 you get from a 400 watt MH which is even more wattage when you add the ballast load.

http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/linear-fluorescent-1/6-lamp-linear-fluorescent-high-bay

The problem I'm having is Lithonia is the only one I can find making simple low cost strip lights with the T5HO lamps, and they have a 3-5 week wait, so I'm trying to see if someone knows of any other source.

Last edited:

RETRAINDAILY

how many are you looking for?

We use City Lights

Call and talk to Chris.

We have Replaced allot of the 400MH with the t5's.
The last change out we priced for 6-lamp T5's and 250W Induction lights.
It was a wash
The Induction lights cost Little more, but install time would be about half.

hurk27

hurk27

Wow just got a call back from Block Lighting, even though its after their hours 4:00 EST. and he said the reason why very few company's are producing anything for T5HO 54 watt lamps is there is a shortage of ballast because of the same chip used in the I-Phone is used in the afore mentioned ballast?:confused: and there is only one manufacture in Taiwan that is manufacturing this chip, he told me that most manufactures are holding out on putting the ballast in anything but the high bay fixtures, or high dollar fixtures.

He's supposed to call me in the morning to see what kind of wait I will have.

Last edited:

stevebea

Wow just got a call back from Block Lighting, even though its after their hours 4:00 EST. and he said the reason why very few company's are producing anything for T5HO 54 watt lamps is there is a shortage of ballast because of the same chip used in the I-Phone is used in the afore mentioned ballast?:confused: and there is only one manufacture in Taiwan that is manufacturing this chip, he told me that most manufactures are holding out on putting the ballast in anything but the high bay fixtures, or high dollar fixtures.

He's supposed to call me in the morning to see what kind of wait I will have.

Very interesting stuff! Never really thought about a electronic ballast having a processor but it makes sense with the universal ballast 120v-277v and being able to sense end of lamp life, automatic restart after lamp change, undervoltage protection etc.

hurk27

brandon2177k

Crescent makes the 8' 4 lamp made to order. Williams makes the 8' 4 lamp made to order also. I would go for the Williams, personally, should have an Advance ballast, which seems to outlast many others in my opinion. If you can order from Williams, it should be 1-2 weeks lead time. Neither show these in their catalog because they are made to order.

hurk27

Well I located a manufacture called Technical Consumer Products (TCP) and their web site:http://www.tcpi.com/corp/corporateHome.aspx and I was able to order the lights I need through a local supply house, with only a 10 to 14 day lead time, but at a much reduced price.

13 GP4WA254UNIV fixtures @ $51.00 each
1 GP8WA254UNIV fixture @ $69.00 each

Same fixtures offered by Block lighting but they never returned my calls or would answer the phone even during their regular hours, so I went looking on my own for the manufacture.

After all the hair pulling it worked out, thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.