I have a question!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebea

can you give me some examples of buildings or establishments that use 600v-500kva? thanks!! :grin:

As jumper said 600v system is common in Canada. I have only done work in one industrial facility here in Pa. where a 600v delta system was used and that was because they had brought in equipment from their Canadian facility. The same facility also had a 480v wye service too.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
To have a 600V system in the US, or with US manufactured equipment becomes difficult because 600V is the limit for many ratings of equipment. If the system were to go 10% above nominal voltage (many things could cause this) you could easily be above the 600V rating. Not only on equipment but cable insulation as well. The break point according to ANSI C84.1 is 600V for Low Voltage, anything above that you are looking at medium voltage rating. For this set-up you really wouldn't want a nominal system voltage much greater than 540V.

Outside the US, where the predominant standards to follow are based on IEC, the break-point between LV and MV is 1000V, and the equipment as well as cable is rated up to 1000V. Therefore the likelihood that you will see a system with a voltage of 600V (or higher) becomes much greater, with the actual voltage based on in country standard practices. Typically, from what I have experienced, the voltages above the 400's are used for motor loads where the motor size puts a strain on the LV bus, but would be costly to purchase as an MV motor.

iwire

Staff member
Isn't the 600 volt rating the rating of highest nominal voltage system that the equipment is rated for?

I mean we don't concern ourselves with connecting 250 volt rated devices to 240 systems.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Isn't the 600 volt rating the rating of highest nominal voltage system that the equipment is rated for?

I mean we don't concern ourselves with connecting 250 volt rated devices to 240 systems.

Good question. the correct answer is it depends. Some equipment, especially control devices, and I'm sure there are many others, including PV equipment could have a maximum rating of 600V. Therefore any voltage above that will exceed the capability of the equipment. Other equipment rated for 600V may have the ability to withstand higher voltages, such as LV Switchgear which by IEEE C37.20.1 is good for 635V. I know that IEC rated cable has a maximum 1.05*Vll to 1.10*VLl rating. I cannot find in the US standards the design max capability.

hurk27

600 volt would also be a problem for common wire we use.

We have a few steel mills around here, and while I have never heard of using 600 volt, 1200, and 4160 are very common voltages used in those industries, my question is how was the question worded? asking for buildings that would use a non-common voltage regardless of the kva, doesn't sound like the way the question was worded, I would think it would have asked for buildings the use >600 volts?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I found this whilst digging around:

In Quebec all 3 phase is 600 volt,we save money on wiring that way!

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24834

Also, I have worked in many factories, some very old, and I have run across 600 volt power and equipment. I can't give any examples as it's been a while, but there is stuff out there that uses that voltage. Not much in the US though.

The question was asking for an example of a specific installation with the given parameters. I don't really see there being a precise answer and am left wondering if there is more to the question than we are privy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.