Nec 110.14(c)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpfam11

NEC 110.14(C)(1) states that "Unless the equipment is listed and marked otherwise, conductor ampacities used in determining equipment termination provisions shall be based on table 310.16....."

We have sized our cables based on the 310.17 free air chart because we are in cable tray but based on above we should have used 310.16.

How can I get around this and stay with the ampacities shown on table 310.17 and what is required when it says "listed and marked otherwise"?

lpfam11

Thanks for the response. I read 392.11(B) prior to posting and thought I was in the clear but since I am using the handbook and not the codebook, it has a shaded clarification to 392.11(B)(4) and at the end it references the same statement in 110.14(C)(1) about having to use 310.16 chart.

Last edited:

guschash

I would think listed and otherwise means that you can use other tables to determine the rating of the wire in the cable tray but when you go to land then on the terminals you must use table 316. What is the tempertue rating of the terminals 60 or 75 degrees.

gus

lpfam11

The lugs are rated at 75 degrees.

I interperate it the same as you as far as landing it you must go by 310.16 but what is the point of sizing it in the tray by 310.17 if once you go to land it you have to size it to 310.16. If you have to land 5c per phase then you have to run 5c per phase so sizing your cable at 4c per phase in your tray according to 310.17 does you no good if once you get to the landing point you are a cable short.

There has to be something somewhere that lets me use 310.17 for landing it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.