VOIP System Powered from a Backup Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a VOIP system that is used to contact emergency personnel, i.e. the fire department, an ambulance, police department, etc. fall under the requirements of Article 700, Article 701, or Article 702 of the NEC when it comes to specifying the type of generator system to provide backup power?

skeshesh

Pretty sure that would be considered an Emergency Communication System (ECS) under the 2010 cycle of NPFA 72:

Code:
24.2.1 The systems covered under Chapter 24 are for the protection of life by indicating the existence of an emergency situation and communicating information necessary to facilitate an appropriate response and action.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
It'll likely also need to be on a UPS since the generator is going to start long after the VOIP system has totally crashed.

nhfire77

Is this an alarm?? If so VOIP is not analog phone line. There are no alarm panels compatible with VOIP, by themselves.

hurk27

Comcast has a 14 hour back up built into there VOIP modem now, Vontage has the option I think, most VOIP modems dont pull very much so any good UPS of 1kw or more would most likly give you at least 10 hours backup.

The problem is what phone system they use, most networked or self networking phones will be dead if power is lost, while the smart ones will use direct line powered back up phones or some of the larger phone suppliers have phones with backup batteries in them, my cordless phone system has an extra battery in the base for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.