Huge Cable Pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Here's an update guys. As an engineer, Polywater gave me a free copy of their software. I ran through it with their technicians and the sidewall pressure is zero at the incoming 90 (that's to be expected) and with the Polywater J lube, the pulling tension is only a little over 1000 lbs! We're going to run a rag through first to clean it out, then run a lube bag, then pull the cable, with guys lubing it at the start and at each manhole. We'll also have a tension meter on it just in case things get out of hand. According to the Polywater guys, this kind of pull is nothing special... I think that's a big of an exaggeration, but I'm pretty confident that if we do the right steps, we'll be fine.

Thanks for all the input guys, and I'll give an update once we try it.

lindstrom

lindstrom

lindstrom

Remember two things:

1. The manufacturer will have maximum pulling tension allowed for their cable. If you go over that tension, you could damage the cable and void the warranty.

2. If you pull from the elbow end and it 6" PVC, there's a risk of the rope "burning" through the radius of the elbow. The cable could then be damaged as it passes by.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Seeings you have the "Poly-water" people there, you won't have to worry about the right lube. For all others, a person wants to make sure that the lube is rated for the wire! Not all lubes are designed for MV able....

220/221

Question gor all.

Do you need a special tugger to use a tension meter?

All I have ever used was a standard greenlee tugger with that wide pulley on it that you wrap the rope around a few times and you just "feel" the tension. The more wraps the more tension it will pull.

I don't see where a meter would go in that situation???

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Remember two things:

1. The manufacturer will have maximum pulling tension allowed for their cable. If you go over that tension, you could damage the cable and void the warranty. ...
It would be somewhat rare that the pulling tension is the limiting factor for a power cable pull. Most likely the sidewall pressure will be the limiting factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.