Is there such a thing as a "smart window"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this project where the mechanical engineer is trying to get an energy credit for a new fire station. It requires me to provide a "micro-switch" at each crew dorm window so that when the window is opened, it automatically shuts off the fan coil serving that room.

It seemed simple enough. Micro-switches are not new and I have used them on previous projects for controlling "air curtains" that were installed in commercial kitchens to comply with health dept. regulations. But that was a standard "plunger-type" micro-switch placed in the top of a door frame.

When I was first made aware that this was part of my scope, I was under the impression, the window would be a standard "swing-out" type window and I could use the same micro-switch I used with the air curtains. As it turns out, that impression was wrong.

What the architect specified, is a "double-hung" up/down slider, with a window frame around the entire window. I've gone through 4 RFI's already in trying to solve this problem and now seem to be going in the opposite direction.

My problem is this:
- I cannot penetrate the window sill on any side, or it will void the manufacturer's warranty
- I cannot use surface-mounted, magnet-type" micro-switches, because the bottom magnet (affixed to the window frame) will get ripped off by the upper window whenever they cross.
- I cannot locate the bottom magnet on the exterior side of the window, because the bottom magnet (with the pigtail), will alter the water runoff of the window sill and thus, poses a warranty issue.
- I cannot use surface raceways to get from the hardwired portion of the magnet, to the junction box in the wall (that has the conduit risers to the ceiling cavity).

At this point, I don't know how to proceed.

Is there any such thing as a "smart window" that has a vendor furnished position switch and UL Listed raceway for a "one-point" of service connection for low voltage control?

Is there a "magnet-type" wireless micro-switch that would allow me to provide a transmitter/receiver in the ceiling cavity and eliminate the need for a hardwire connection at the window sill?

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
The alarm industry has a variety of reed switches for windows. Find an alarm installer & ask. [Not ADT or some other mass-market chain, a local dealer with smarts.]

You'd likely need a low current relay between same & your controls.

jghrist

Could you mount two magnetic switches, one on the sill at the bottom and one on the top, with external wiring from each along the frame. Use N.C. switches and wire them in series so opening either the top or the bottom will open the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.