Running Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

I am trying to figure out the best way to route some conduit. Can you guys help?

which one of the 3 ways shown on the attachment is best? thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can you build a rack support of Kindorf for the pipes and just go straight up? Too many bends the other way. Of course you could have a 12"+ offset. If there are many pipes I would go straight up-- let's see what the pros say as I do resi work.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
My opinion is it depends on the size of the raceway, the wire, and the location of the panel. Assuming 3/4" pipe with #14's; I would want the routing with the back to back 90's. I think it would look cleaner then the conduit "floating" 14 to 20" off the wall.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
If the pipe can be ran straight up to the ceiling (legally - see 3' and 5' rules) do it! I follow K.I.S.S. principles. It will also be a clean install reducing time fiddling with expensive timeline of adding LB's and unessary costs escalating.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Is there any particular reason you are trying to design a conduit run?

Don't you have faith in the electrician knowing what to do?

Roger

Cavie

Make it real perty and go out the bottom down and over to the wall and up using 90's. I just did one like this do to a lage footer.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Straight up. I would of built the stanchion holding the panel 3' taller or so and then spanned it horizontally with a piece of strut to strap the conduits.

If it's close to the ceiling I'd follow Rockyd's advice.

Make it real perty and go out the bottom down and over to the wall and up using 90's. I just did one like this do to a lage footer.

Why? You're just adding 180 degrees of bend over going straight up with a simple 90 at the ceiling?

stevenje

Why? You're just adding 180 degrees of bend over going straight up with a simple 90 at the ceiling?

IMHO you need to take the entire conduit run into consideration first before making a call on the location and number of bends, fittings and pull boxes. It is real easy to shoot yourself in the foot by not planning the entire run out first.

Designer69

Is there any particular reason you are trying to design a conduit run?

Don't you have faith in the electrician knowing what to do?

Roger

yeah the owner has a specific detailed design requirement. Go figure.

Thank You for the help guys, I love this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.