Under cabinet lighting j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&S

The electrical inspector is dissallowing a junction box to be mounted under a kitchen cabinet to be used for a hard wire connection to 110v puck lights. I can't seem to find anything in the code to justify his ruling.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The electrical inspector is dissallowing a junction box to be mounted under a kitchen cabinet to be used for a hard wire connection to 110v puck lights. I can't seem to find anything in the code to justify his ruling.

I agree this sounds like bogus junk. Ask him for a article reference.

gndrod

box to puck

box to puck

Maybe the method of cabling from the box to pucks are not protected under the wall hung cabinets?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would like to know more of this application. Most 120V pucks I have seen are plug in and they can be linked together with specialty cords that are part of the system.

I have basically given up using pucks because of the issues with them. The LV systems cannot have concealed wiring, etc. I would rather use xenon uc lights or LED---

I have seen LV pucks wired with concealed wiring-- the wire was cat 5 wire. :roll:

D&S

the customer just wants the j-box installed for a future power source for this type of lighting. I'm not sure which system he will be using.

gary

Occupation
Retired electrical contractor / general contractor
Was this J-box to be supplied from the SA circuit? If it contained a switch leg from a lighting circuit I don't see any reason to object.

kwired

Electron manager
the customer just wants the j-box installed for a future power source for this type of lighting. I'm not sure which system he will be using.

If there is no light there, the junction box is properly covered, and the circuit is not connected to something prohibited such as the SABC, then I see nothing for him to fail. It is possible at the time of light installation to create code violations but there are none now.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've used shallow Wiremold 1g boxes for this purpose. I slit 1/8" ID rubbet tube to make a grommet for the KO's.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The LV systems cannot have concealed wiring, etc.
Dennis, as far as I know all 12 volt puck lights are only listed for class 2 power sources. If the power source is class 2 you are not required to use a Chapter 3 wiring method in the walls and ceilings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, as far as I know all 12 volt puck lights are only listed for class 2 power sources. If the power source is class 2 you are not required to use a Chapter 3 wiring method in the walls and ceilings.

The cable must be class 2 cable. The systems I see supply a lamp cord that is meant to be exposed. The problem is when you run from the remote trany to the first light.

Most EC are using speaker wire, telephone wire, nm cable, etc. If nm is used then it is my understanding that the entire circuit must conform to chapter 3 methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.