does a 240 volt recepical have to be gfci pertected in commercial kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i no all 120e recepicals have to be gfci pertected in bathrooms kitchens unfinished basements etc...i dont think it applies to 240v plugs but just wanted to be 100 %

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This question was not related to the thread into which it was originally posted. So I moved it to a thread of its own.

You are right: GFCI requirements apply only to 125 volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacle outlets. Reference 210.8.

Welcome to the forum.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say general GFCI requirements from 210.8 apply to 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles.

There are special conditions in other areas requiring GFCI protection and not always limited to 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles. These conditions are typically in installations falling in a category in chapters 5 or 6.

If you are talking about an area near a spa or swimming pool you may have to comply with 218.8, but anything requiring GFCI in 680 gets protected no matter what.

Last edited:

hurk27

While not all 240 volt circuits require GFCI protection, the addition of 682 was long over due as to some of these requirements, I have always tried to protect any installations around anywhere someone could be submerged in water or in contact with water, and or a system of double grounding methods such as pulling in an extra grounding conductor in conduit. one thing I would like to see is a device developed that would shut down supplies to any electrical around water when there is a difference of 3 volts or more between the circuit EGC's and Earth, 3 volts can very easily disable a submerged person and keep them from being able to pull themselves out of the water, and GFCI's will not protect against this, we hear about the deaths around docks and boat lifts all the time, but many don't realize that even if a boat lift is GFCI protected and has a good EGC, if there is a voltage drop on the service neutral the GFCI will do nothing to stop a person from being disabled if they come into contact with the boat lift.

Yea I know that this idea could be my million dollar ticket into retirement but I would rather see it save lives then to put a price on it.

Edited to add that I have no idea why I rambled on about boat docks in a thread about commercial kitchens, I'm loosing it:confused:

Last edited:
ok thanks.

ok thanks.

ok cool so you dont have to have 240 vollt recepical in commercial kitchen be gfi pertected . ...can i put mc in emt or do i have to run single stranded conductors in the emt conduit.. i was thinking using mc as my home run along my prehung ceiling then come into a jbox were i can run my emt to and come down the wall with the plug so i dont have to have a long run with the emt...

Rick Christopherson

The reason why 240 volt outlets don't require the GFCI protection that their equivalent 120 Volt outlets require is because the GFCI manufacturers haven't lobbied the NEC to have it done. There isn't as much money in selling 10 GFCI NEMA 6-20's as there is in selling 10,000 GFCI NEMA 5-20's .

No Money; no lobby.

The risk is the same.

This topic is the most blatant revelation that the NEC stopped being a code to protect people, and became something to increase profits for special interests.

tkb

Why can't anyone get the spelling of the word Receptacle correct?
It is not Recpicle.

kwired

Electron manager
Just my opinion but the way I see the increasing places where GFCI protection is required is because of the fact that 15 and 20 amp 125 volt cords seem to loose the equipment grounding pin in one way or another.

How often do you see a missing EGC pin on a plug for a 240 volt appliance?

How often do you see either a missing EGC pin on a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt plug, or an adapter to allow plugging it into only a 2 wire receptacle?

In a commercial kitchen a cord and plug connected equipment (125 volt 15 or 20 amp) must be supplied by a GFCI protected outlet. You could have same or very similar appliance that is hard wired and no GFCI is required. The biggest difference between the two is the EGC is probably more reliable in the hard wired equipment. The current carrying conductors are more reliable also but if there is a problem with them it effects the operation of the load and gets noticed.

Same is true for GFCI requirements on construction sites. Lots of portable equipment and extension cords. How many trade people out there do you see that have missing ground pins on equipment or extension cords? How many of you have missing grounding pins on your own equipment? The ones that work on larger sites frequently or for larger employers may have a few less damaged cords but only because someone has threatened to fine them for this, not because they really understand the importance of the grounding pin on the cord.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why can't anyone get the spelling of the word Receptacle correct?
It is not Recpicle.
I think if we were discussing a receptacle we would have to be talking about "protecting" it.;)

Roger

It really baffels me that this tread recieved 8 reply's already and my thread about a marina shore line outlet protection only recieved one reply. Not to discount this posters question but the code and reasoning on residential and commercial kitchen GFCI protection is pretty clear. Compared to a mariana situation with safety concerns. I guess that every body here only wants to debate and dicuss the simple and obvious instead of being real electricians and taking on the real problems. I thank the one person that did give me an inteligent response. Now as of today yes this lovely snow day I will be using my internet time to seach for a more professional electrical forum and start buying education/code products from Mike Holt.

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member
Just my opinion but the way I see the increasing places where GFCI protection is required is because of the fact that 15 and 20 amp 125 volt cords seem to loose the equipment grounding pin in one way or another.

How often do you see a missing EGC pin on a plug for a 240 volt appliance?

How often do you see either a missing EGC pin on a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt plug, or an adapter to allow plugging it into only a 2 wire receptacle?

Bingo, I think the rules are less of a manufacturers lobbing thing and more about which receptacles are injuring the most people.

I think we could easily argue that a 480/277 volt outlet is much more dangerous than a 120/240 one but of the two which can we provide GFCI protection for?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It really baffles me that this tread received 8 reply's already and my thread about a marina shore line outlet protection only received one reply.
In case this is not obvious, participation in this forum is entirely voluntary. Each member gets to choose whether to post a comment in any given thread. If nobody chooses to comment on a specific topic, that fact does not detract from the professionalism of the membership. It is possible that nobody knows the answer (that happens from time to time) or that nobody is interested in the topic (so does that).

When I looked a few minutes ago, your thread had a second, and quite excellent, reply.

tkb

It really baffels me that this tread recieved 8 reply's already and my thread about a marina shore line outlet protection only recieved one reply. Not to discount this posters question but the code and reasoning on residential and commercial kitchen GFCI protection is pretty clear. Compared to a mariana situation with safety concerns. I guess that every body here only wants to debate and dicuss the simple and obvious instead of being real electricians and taking on the real problems. I thank the one person that did give me an inteligent response. Now as of today yes this lovely snow day I will be using my internet time to seach for a more professional electrical forum and start buying education/code products from Mike Holt.

Boo Hoo, I am taking my ball and going home. :roll:

btharmy

Boo Hoo, I am taking my ball and going home. :roll:

HA! HA! Exactly what I was thinking. No dis-respect to him but, someone thinks a little too much of himself and his own posts. "Screw everybody elses questions. Answer mine, answer mine." Sheeeeessscchhh. Loosten up a bit. I doubt it was a conspiracy to ingnore his question. Or, was it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.